800D Mid Plate Removal!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, now I don't usually do forums because I cant keep up with the many usernames and passwords, but seeing as I watch Tech Tips so often I thought why not.

So, my topic...

I have an 800D that I will hopefully be modding soon, I currently have a full water cooling loop (cpu, mobo and gpu) with a triple rad in the top, and a single in the bottom. Now I am currently using an i7 980X, Rampage 3 and a 680 2GB, and this is plenty of cooling, but I want to upgrade some stuff when Haswell lands, now do you guys think its possible to remove the mid plate on the 800D without affecting its structural integrity too much? I haven't seen this done on any 800D cases, but personally I think the cooling zones restricts the airflow more than it is meant to.

Thanks guys, look forwards to hearing some replies and ideas :)  

What kind of airflow are you hoping to get from the bottom section?

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, now I don't usually do forums because I cant keep up with the many usernames and passwords, but seeing as I watch Tech Tips so often I thought why not.

So, my topic...

.. now do you guys think its possible to remove the mid plate on the 800D without affecting its structural integrity too much?

I haven't seen this done on any 800D cases, but personally I think the cooling zones restricts the airflow more than it is meant to.

removal of the mid-plate does effect the overall case rigidity. but if you are not moving the case around to much,

you should be fine. if removed, the case simply will not fall apart, because it is not there. if it was a zone thing

you'd see move of them ripped out. there is no air intake to speak of on the whole case. suggestions from

corsair was to use the upper three vents as intake and allow the rear fan and rear i/o vent is all. but this was a

major fail, so they reversed the thought and made a negative pressure system out of it and so the dust bunnies

had somewhere to live.

I ended up using the lower basement as an intake with 240 rad, reverse the rear fan to intake to make a

quasi-balance pressure inside case. others would do like the TJ and make lower holes in side panel to

at least get something into the case for usable flow.

airdeano

Thanks for the feedback guys, I want to put a 240 rad in the bottom, im thinking with the whole mid plate gone the airflow would be so much better, and better to have my psu fan up, right now I have the intake at the bottom, and the top fans push pulling out of the case, firstly i'll be swapping the top rad to pull only, done some playing around and pull/push/pushpull barely change the temps at low fan speeds. And personally the mid plate just looks stupid as you can see it in the window, another mistake by corsair, they should have had the window level with the mid plate to be honest. :)

I wont be settling on anything any time soon, so hopefully theres time for more feedback.

Chris