Test button on power supplies

Ian Scott

What does the Self test button do on power supplies like the corsair ax860i

I assume it allows you ensure that the power supply actually works before you wire everything in. It basically does the 'paper clip' test without the need of a paper clip, just turns on the PSU. I think, not 100% sure.

In Corsair's site they say "Self-test switch to determine PSU functionality even before installation", so i guess Dave is probably right.

I happen to own one.

It quite litterally does a self test.

When you press it the fan on the PSU spins up to full RPM and it then it displays a green LED that shows that the PSU works.

As far as I am aware it powers up the rail as well so its like hitting the power button on your PC in terms of powering things up. The only downside to this test is that you need to keep pressing the test button down for it to carry on supplying power so it isn't very useful for replacing the paperclip test.

Its more a gimmick you will use once when you first get the PSU and never again.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.