Old laptop HDD "Local Disk" corrupted

Hello Internets,

So at the start of the week I decided that my previous laptop (which I had not used in at least a month or two) could again be of some use to me. It has more grunt than my new laptop, and so I used to use it as a make-shift desktop. However, being quite aged now it's battery had become useless many many months ago, and without it the computer doesn't always start the first time. After several tries over Monday and Tuesday, I finally got it to boot, and everything was fine. Until my sister unplugged it from the wall without first shutting it down. After that it would boot, but windows would not start, instead a black screen would be seen. I resolved to remove the HDD and connect it to my normal laptop through USB, and I could get onto all the partitions except "local disk" where all the data is stored, I would get a message about "Cyclic redundancy check". I tried scanning the partition and repairing with the windows explorer repair tool, and now it says that the drive is not accessible due to corruption. 

I can still read the other partitions, so there is nothing physically wrong with the drive, my question is is there anything I can do to get into that "Local Disk" partition to recover my data? 

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated :)

tharrison14

Ouch, that is the worst outcome to unplugging the device before shutting it down. The HDD has moving parts and can seize up. Best to use an linux enviroment to see if you can access the partitions. Using Parted magic from UBCD will help a lot.

Give that a go and keep me posted :)

Ouch, that is the worst outcome to unplugging the device before shutting it down. The HDD has moving parts and can seize up. Best to use an linux enviroment to see if you can access the partitions. Using Parted magic from UBCD will help a lot.

Give that a go and keep me posted :)

I tried Parted Magic on that old laptop with the HDD in question connected via USB, and I couldn't access the corrupted partition. In the file explorer it says "NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault" amongst other things. I can access the other partitions however so I don't see how it could be hardware? In the partition tool it says that it is "unable to read the contents of this file system"

Is that game over? 

From the sounds of things, your NTFS table for that section is dead... which means the pointers for everything are broken, or gone. Rebuilding the data is possible, but not with any free-ware I know of, so consider that data gone for the most part. Of course, there is a massive chance someone knows a lot more than I do, and could know of a way to get it back.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

If the data means the world to you then I recommened data recovery places, but seemings as the head might be damaged or the complete partition sector the cost of repairing this professionally is in the thounsands as they would need to open up the HDD.

However you could find a partition recovery software that might assist.