Help choosing SSD

1Scotty1

Hey all,

I would like a little help/tips - I want to buy one SSD drive for my PC, and want some tips (brand, etc.). The drive will be my boot drive, so OS and maybe one or two games I play, so I dont know if a 64 gig is enough, or should I get at least a 128 gig drive. For a side note and this is "important" - I have an "older" mobo - MSI H55-GD65 and thus no SATAIII.

So - any recommendations? :) Thanks

Go for the 128Gb drives performance wise every ssd currently on the market will saturate the 3Gbps bandwidth that your providing it with and as such id go for the likes of the crucial M4 as i personally have a M4 in my laptop for the last 18 months or so now at this stage there really cheap now.

If you are planning to upgrade down the line and keep your ssd then I think you might want to look into getting an intel 520 series (have one in my desktop its deadly) or the OCZ vector, samsung 840 series etc

Slightly aside,

There is a sweet spot currently in ssd on the size to performance ratio and its around the 200 to 260 GB range.

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

Intel 520, 330, 320 series, samsung 840 series and kingston hyperx series are all good to go for.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

I recently just got an Intel 520 Cheryville 120Gb. SSD from BestBuy, I know I know, BestBuy, but I had a gift card and it was on sale for $99.99 so I couldn't beat it. This drive has performed flawlessly and has given me the advertised speeds and reliability of Intel for only $100. As stated above though, The Samsung 840's are awesome and the new OCZ ones are great as well. At this point in the game of SSD's it almost comes down to preference and how much your willing to spend. As I said though, haven't had as much as a hiccup with this Intel 520. Only suggestion is to setup whichever SSD you get properly once installed for optimal performance. Hope this helps :)

Samsung 840 or Crucial M4 if you can find a good deal on it.

But technically you wont get the full bandwith of any SSD on the market without SATA3, get one that will last a while :D

Thanks for all your input, guys. Much appreciated ;) Out of all SSDs you mentioned, I think I will go for the Kingston HyperX 120 gig version - its 95€ in our country (105€ if I would go for the package with the CD, external case etc.) so a decent price. I dont want to go over my "budget" much, as I bought a new case, heatsink and case fans yesterday, so this is in my range :D

Thanks again

Anything Intel

Samsung

OCZ Vector

Crucial M4 (I've got one)

Kingston HyperX 3K

Patriot Pyro seies(?)

From what I know those are the best SSD brands and models out right now so just take your pick

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

If you don't have Sata III it doesn't really matter what you get. You aren't going to see any noticeable (besides synthetic benchmark) difference between one drive and another. I wouldn't get less than 120GB though.

You could get a sata 3 drive because sata 2 drives are somehow more expensive than sata 3 looking at the NCIX website... The Crucial M4 is a great SSD for starters because it has been used by many people and there are many good reviews on them.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The kingston and Crucial SSDs are great

Thanks again to all. I am leaning towards the Kingston HyperX 3K 120 gig and to solve my Mobo Sata III absence, I think a PCIe card with Sata III will be a good choice, no? It costs roughly about 20€ here (simple PCIe card with 2x Sata III ). Better then to stick the SSD in a Sata II port. Correct me If I am wrong.

go for OCZ they're pretty far ahead of the competition right now and the new vertex (i think) is pretty much the best Sata SSD on the market right now

go for OCZ they're pretty far ahead of the competition right now and the new vertex (i think) is pretty much the best Sata SSD on the market right now
I was looking at the OCZ Vector (that is the new one), but the 128 gig version costs 140€ as opposed to the Kingston HyperX 3K 120 gig - 95€...

So... I dont know :(

Its worth it, its going to last alot longer, and be much faster over a longer period of time

Thats the thing... If I didnt have to buy that PCIe card with Sata III ports which costs another 22€ I would consider the OCZ Vector :(

But as I said before, my budget isnt that high as I upgraded my PC last week and it wasnt cheap. But thanks for every bit of help, all of you

the samsung 840 is a good choice as well

Probably a stupid question... but why do some recommend the samsung 840, when it says, it has "only" 130MB/s write speed as opposed to other, who have 400-500+ MB/s?

I personally don't - I always make sure to note 840Pro's...

Intel 330's and 520's, Samsung 830's and 840 Pro's, Crucial M4's and Sandisk Extreme's are my list

Just my $.02

that suxx, cause 840s Pro are unavailable in our country for some reason :(

Well, I would very much recommend the OCZ Vertex 4, have it, love, and recommend it completely.

Sadly though, you dont have SataII? That is going to keep you with quite small performance.

Hope this helps

Intel 330's and 520's' date=' Samsung 830's and 840 Pro's, Crucial M4's and Sandisk Extreme's are my list Just my $.02 [/quote']

This is a pretty good list. I would add the Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB to it :)

Well, I would very much recommend the OCZ Vertex 4, have it, love, and recommend it completely.

Sadly though, you dont have SataII? That is going to keep you with quite small performance.

Hope this helps

I am considering OCZ or Kingston, yeah..and my mobo doesnt have Sata III... it has Sata II, but I figured out that too, a simple card to my PCIe slot with two Sata III ports solves the issue ;)

Yeah you can take the pro version, but personally I almost never write on my ssd ( maybe like 1gb per 3 day max )