D programming language.

So this was just a general topic of discussion that I was hoping people might have some insight into. Some of you might know of Andrei Alexandrescu from his work with C++ (particularly with Modern C++ Design etc.), anyway he's been working on the D language (http://dlang.org/) with its original creator for a while now as a proposed successor to C++ attempting to provide memory safety while still enabling low-level access (including in-line assembly) and I was just wondering if anyone has had much experience with the D language?

I know it's not yet gathered any where near as much support to be taken as a serious successor to C++ but i'm interested in people's experience with the language as I was thinking of taking it up in the summer once I finish university. The ability to combine functional and imperative programming in the same language is definitely of interest to me as this may be important if I take up the PhD offer for next year.

Well, this is new. This actually seems quite interesting. I for one have not worked with the D language but because I, or other people, do not know the language does not mean you shouldn't try it.

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

I heard about it a while ago, stumbled across it by accident and it sounds quite promising but seems to lack a lot of community support. The idea of C++ with a controllable garbage collector sounds quite appropriate for all kinds of uses. It just seems a shame barely anybody actually knows or has used the language that I know.

The D programming language has been around for a few years. It's looked interesting, but I feel like they've departed from the standard C++-style syntax too much. It feels more like Java with directives like "import." And I have a strong aversion to Java. I don't think I'll ever pick up this language. I think there are far more substitutes like this one in the world that make this one another redundant language that won't be used. C# does almost exactly what D says it does. C# doesn't allow for inline assembly, but using P/Invoke would allow assembly interop.

But still, it's interesting. Maybe I'll give it a try someday.

The D programming language has been around for a few years. It's looked interesting, but I feel like they've departed from the standard C++-style syntax too much. It feels more like Java with directives like "import." And I have a strong aversion to Java. I don't think I'll ever pick up this language. I think there are far more substitutes like this one in the world that make this one another redundant language that won't be used. C# does almost exactly what D says it does. C# doesn't allow for inline assembly, but using P/Invoke would allow assembly interop.

Funny, I like the Java syntax more than any other language.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't mind me asking, why do you have an aversion to java?