My Second Build - Corsair 350D, Kraken x41

Go to solution Solved by Ex0Thermic,

Any Rad thicker than 27mm will not fit in to top off a corsair 350D without pushing against the motherboard or over lapping it.
I really would not recommend using the Kraken x41 in the top off this case!

You would be better off using a thicker 120mm rad on the rear case fan or using a thinker dual fan rad on the top or front off the case.

Sry but i'm no help when it comes to fans

I built a PC for myself in 2012 to game on after a few heat related shutdowns for my laptop had me concerned for it's long term health. Since then my brother's old PC has died. I've decided I'm going to build myself a new one, and give him the one I built a couple years ago. This is my first foray into watercooling, even though it's just an all-in-one, I'd like some questions answered.

Here are the specs that matter for my questions:

Corsair 350D

Motherboard - Asus Z97m-plus Micro ATX

CPU - i7-4790k

CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken x41

Memory - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport

I have some questions that hopefully another 350D owner could answer for me.

I want to setup my fans and radiator like this(let me know if this arrangement makes no sense):

http://i.imgur.com/j1fkOVF.jpg

Image without my drawings(not my build btw, so thank you to whomever this image belongs to.)

http://i.imgur.com/JGPJc3z.jpg

And two of the motherboard I plan to use, the one in the image above appears to be an Asus z87 Maximus V Gene.

http://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/Z97/assets/img/thumbs/enlarge/z97m-plus.jpg

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97MPLUS/websites/global/products/Yb2B5mnY2N5moc5x/img/hp/overview/overview.png

The Kraken x41 is substantially thicker, at 36mm, than the x60 pictured is at 27mm. So my main question is, will the x41 + 140mm fan(TBD, but in all likelihood 25mm in thickness) fit without interfering with the motherboard? Has anyone seen an nzxt x41 mounted in this case before?

I'm concerned about the DIMM slots, their tabs in particular, and any caps or anything else that may be sticking up off the board in that top right corner. I think their should be enough clearance to avoid anything sticking out of the board, but it's impossible to tell from any pictures. If I had the case and board in front of me I could probably eyeball it well enough to know. 

My other questions are:

Will the Kraken x41 cool well enough to allow me to overclock the 4790k should I choose? I think it likely will, let me know if I'm wrong.

Can I mount the CPU cooler upside-down if I need to? Meaning the non-radiator end, the part that actually sits on the CPU with the nzxt logo upside down. I'm thinking it might be tough to get the tubes to clear my RAM(which is very low profile) if they're on the right-hand side of the CPU.

Besides Noctua, what fans do you recommend? It seems like the Corsair fans are good values, but I've heard good things about Akasa and Cougar.

Do my airflow plans make any sense? I think I would be drawing cooler air from outside the case over the radiator than from inside to out. The two 140mm fans in front should push air right onto the GPU and then over just about everything else on it's way to the the top-back and rear fans.

And lastly, has anyone seen LED fans in the front of the 350D? Can you see it glow from behind the front panel? How did it look? I think if the whole rectangular recess were lightly glowing it would look awesome.

Now, im not a 350d owner, but i will answer anyway:)

1. Yes, I think a x41 would be more than okay for some OC

2. I dont really know what you mean. But if your concerned about clearence with your tubes and memory, I think you will be fine , acording to the picture.          THE thing i am concerned about is your tubes going against your rear fan placement??

3. Noctua fans are the best( in my opinion) but Corsair fans are not bad eather. Akassa and Cougar,, dont know about them.

4. I see you are trying to create positive air pressure. But I have a feeling, that your top fans might create a bit of turbulence(might not be anything, might just be me)

Any Rad thicker than 27mm will not fit in to top off a corsair 350D without pushing against the motherboard or over lapping it.

You would be better off using a thicker 120mm rad on the rear case fan or using a thinker dual fan rad on the top or front off the case.

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Now, im not a 350d owner, but i will answer anyway:)

1. Yes, I think a x41 would be more than okay for some OC

2. I dont really know what you mean. But if your concerned about clearence with your tubes and memory, I think you will be fine , acording to the picture.          THE thing i am concerned about is your tubes going against your rear fan placement??

3. Noctua fans are the best( in my opinion) but Corsair fans are not bad eather. Akassa and Cougar,, dont know about them.

4. I see you are trying to create positive air pressure. But I have a feeling, that your top fans might create a bit of turbulence(might not be anything, might just be me)

For #2 it's hard to explain what I mean. Basically, if it comes down to it, can I flip the bracket and the pump upside down and it still function properly? 

And thank you for the heads up on #4, I'll look into it. I think that since the front-top mounted fan will be a static-pressure style fan and pulling air through a radiator it shouldn't produce much airflow on its own, especially with what I think will be a strong flow created by the dual 140mm in front and combination of 140 and 120mm in the top and back. 

Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I was looking for. The radiator thickness is my primary concern, so don't worry about no fan answers. 

Now I wonder, is a 140x27(or less) rad going to be enough to OC? 

Instead of the X41, consider the new X31 (120mm). It can easily be mounted on the 120mm rear exhaust of the 350D. You can leave the top passive or use them for intake or exhaust - I wouldn't mix the two.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

For #2 it's hard to explain what I mean. Basically, if it comes down to it, can I flip the bracket and the pump upside down and it still function properly? 

And thank you for the heads up on #4, I'll look into it. I think that since the front-top mounted fan will be a static-pressure style fan and pulling air through a radiator it shouldn't produce much airflow on its own, especially with what I think will be a strong flow created by the dual 140mm in front and combination of 140 and 120mm in the top and back. 

i think you would be able to turn it around, but not sure

again about the fan. it is proberly nothing

might be worth you checking out some off the builds posted here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401102/corsair-350d-owners-club/3640

their are some great builds using lots off different water coolers. hopefully you will be able to get a idea off what will and will not fit :)

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Instead of the X41, consider the new X31 (120mm). It can easily be mounted on the 120mm rear exhaust of the 350D. You can leave the top passive or use them for intake or exhaust - I wouldn't mix the two.

I only planned on mixing the two if the radiator were on top, which I'd prefer to use as an intake, but I guess if the airflow is good it shouldn't make much of a difference. I'll definitely check out the x31. There's definitely some shallowness going into this build, and I love the way the NZXT LED looks and the fact that you can change the colors. 

Thanks for the reply.

i think you would be able to turn it around, but not sure

again about the fan. it is proberly nothing

Brob and Geekthief have turned me away from trying to mount my rad there anyhow, so I think you were on to something  :)

Thanks again for your reply.