Noob needs help!

Brandenhee
Go to solution Solved by Guest Kloaked,

@Kloaked I got the laptop valued recently. I was quoted 1.1k for a laptop i bought for 3.5k. I find that a huge loss man. I regret getting the alienware laptop. Was fooled by the blinking lights.

Just sell it and be done with it. You'll be in the hole even more if you don't, and if you continually upgrade it. As time goes by, it's value will continually go down too. Sell it now while it's worth that much.

If you can get 1.1k out of it, you'll be able to build a desktop that'll basically shit on it's performance ten-fold.

Hi guys I currently own an alienware m17x r4 with an i7-3820 qm processor @2.70ghz. I am thinking of upgrading my gpu to 880m gtx from nividia. Will it work? And if so will there be any bottlenecks. Will my gaming performance increase greatly without any changes to anything else? I am a noob and I really need help. Thanks!

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k l Mobo: msi z97 pcmate l GPU: MSI Gtx 970 4gb OC l PSU: CM V550 l RAM: RipJaws 8gb l Case: NZXT H440 l Cooling: CM Hyper 212x l Storage: Crucial mx100 128gb ssd l OS: Windows 7 l Keyboard: CM storm quickfire ultimate(Blue) l Mouse: Razor Mamba l Display: Some shitty samsung monitor

It'll work (maybe, depending on the changes between the M17X and the "Alienware 17"), but with as much as you pay for a mobile GPU, save your money and just buy a desktop. Use your laptop as something mobile. Those mobile GPU's are super expensive for what they are and are totes not worth it.

@Kloaked. I use my alienware as a deskptop now. It's too heavy to be anything mobile for me. I literally have it hooked up to a monitor. I plan to use it continuously for some time until i have enough money to get a high end desktop. Will this upgrade work well?

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k l Mobo: msi z97 pcmate l GPU: MSI Gtx 970 4gb OC l PSU: CM V550 l RAM: RipJaws 8gb l Case: NZXT H440 l Cooling: CM Hyper 212x l Storage: Crucial mx100 128gb ssd l OS: Windows 7 l Keyboard: CM storm quickfire ultimate(Blue) l Mouse: Razor Mamba l Display: Some shitty samsung monitor

@Kloaked. I use my alienware as a deskptop now. It's too heavy to be anything mobile for me. I literally have it hooked up to a monitor. I plan to use it continuously for some time until i have enough money to get a high end desktop. Will this upgrade work well?

If you're doing that, sell the laptop and buy a desktop dude. No point in having a laptop if it's only going to sit at a desk :P

I literally have nothing against gaming laptops if you're actually taking it places, but in your case I'd sell it and build/buy a desktop. You're going to be in the hole a stupid amount of money if you continually upgrade that laptop.

@Kloaked I got the laptop valued recently. I was quoted 1.1k for a laptop i bought for 3.5k. I find that a huge loss man. I regret getting the alienware laptop. Was fooled by the blinking lights.

Just sell it and be done with it. You'll be in the hole even more if you don't, and if you continually upgrade it. As time goes by, it's value will continually go down too. Sell it now while it's worth that much.

If you can get 1.1k out of it, you'll be able to build a desktop that'll basically shit on it's performance ten-fold.

Alienware... you really do need help hahha.

But yeah I wouldn't bother upgrading tbh.

@Kloaked Alright thanks for your help :D