Windows 8.1 to 8 - can I still use same key?

drummerdude

Hi there everyone,

I'm new here and just wanted to get some advice if possible.

I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow which comes with Windows 8.1 but I want to put Window 8 on instead.

So the question is: If I uninstall Windows 8.1 and install Windows 8, will it accept the key from 8.1 that came with the laptop?

Thanks for any help.

Why would you want 8? Why not 8.1?

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

If you mean the windows key: yes.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

99% its a no. You might be able to exchange the key.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

I want to downgrade because whenever I've used 8.1 I've had lower FPS in games and more compatibility issues.

So if I fresh install windows 8 I can't use the key that will be in the laptop's bios to activate it? 

I want to downgrade because whenever I've used 8.1 I've had lower FPS in games and more compatibility issues.

So if I fresh install windows 8 I can't use the key that will be in the laptop's bios to activate it? 

I don't think that lower FPS is because of 8.1.. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

What is it then? Because the same games/setup run fine on both 7 and 8. But with 8.1 they were noticeably slower in comparison. 

It really is a simple question, I would just like to know please. Thanks.

Use compatibly mode...its their for a reason lmao..

Cool. I just wanted some help but obviously that is a bit too much to ask here. Thanks anyway. 

To answer your question, pretty sure it's a no...

Your key is Win8.1 key... not Win8 key...

Those with Win8 key can upgrade to Win8.1. Not the other way around. So you will need a new key for Win8.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N