HDD Dissapearing

Mateyyy

So I've got a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green. It's been working well so far.

Yesterday, what happened, I was playing NFS: The Run, and when I was loading a new level, I waited on the loading screen for like 3 minutes, and still, nothing. I closed the game, opened Device Manager, and my HDD wasn't listed there, just my SSD. I had to click on Scan for new hardware, and the HDD reappeared. Same thing happened a couple of minutes ago.

What could be happening? Thanks.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Hi again,

I am sorry to hear that your issue persists. Have you checked the drive with Data Lifeguard Diagnostics?
You could try to assign a new drive letter to your drive.  Can you confirm that you are not experiencing any heating or environmental issues? Have you checked the Power Plan settings? When this happens randomly, it is not likely to find the solution there, but you never know.

Do this “drive drop” happen when you are not playing games? I am asking you this, because the Green drive is designed for backup drive. Think about adding a more high performance drive (like the WD Black) as a main gaming drive, while still using the Green for your documents, videos, photos, etc.
I see that you have a Samsung drive? Try to switch the SATA ports. Check if the issues persists, or the other drive starts to disappear.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/137 - Assign drive letter

Hope this helped.

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

I had a disappearing HHD in my old rig. Turned out its sata port was dying.

Used a different port and it never happened again.