Cloning a boot drive

theonlyBuster
Go to solution Solved by XtremePotato,

You can use AOMEI Partition assistant  5.5 standard edition To literally CLONE the whole thing mirror to mirror 100% I used those options (mostly to create 100% backup where i can just switch physical hard drives and keep on working in case anything unexpected happens)dad0c2b64b.png(download link right here http://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.html )

First things first: boot through your good 'ol HDD as if nothing and install the software
In order to avoid complete data loss-> Get an external hard drive or USB (huge capacity) and clone to it using the MIGRATE OS (OR the DISK COPY WIZARD) feature to the external unit(READ CAREFULLY THE PROMPT WINDOW)If it needs a reboot then let it be. After that wipe your new SSD using the WIPE HARD DRIVE to remove any useless residue. Delete the partition on the SSD in order to have un-allocated space on your SSD (where your OS will be cloned) Then let the cloning begin: Use the "Migrate OS to SSD or HDD"  NOTE:(Again) Read all the details carefully before clicking NEXT you don't want to choose a wrong drive and get everything messed up . Ready? Click apply (top left corner of the window) And you're good to go! It will boot into PRE-Os mode, AOMEI will do everything it needs to do. Give it some time, it's an HDD after all :) Hope it helps

I finally got around to having enough time to clone my main drive w/ my OS over to a SSD.  I had the computer going most of the night cloning my HDD onto my SDD.  When all was done and I tested the cloning, I got an error during the boot which did now allow me to boot w/ the SSD. 
I tried cloning a few more times thinking I hit the wrong option only to discover that I simply could not fully load Windows
So as of now I'm back on my HDD. 

I'm hoping someone can briefly guide me in regards to how to properly clone a drive I'm going to boot from using - well any free software out there.  I'm open to any software.

I do not have a Win7 installation CD/DVD, so doing a fresh install is currently out of the question unless there is a free download somewhere.  I do have my CD key though.  It was pre-installed on my machine.  All other documentation has since been thrown away.

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

I finally got around to having enough time to clone my main drive w/ my OS over to a SSD.  I had the computer going most of the night cloning my HDD onto my SDD.  When all was done and I tested the cloning, I got an error during the boot which did now allow me to boot w/ the SSD. 

I tried cloning a few more times thinking I hit the wrong option only to discover that I simply could not fully load Windows

So as of now I'm back on my HDD. 

I'm hoping someone can briefly guide me in regards to how to properly clone a drive I'm going to boot from using - well any free software out there.  I'm open to any software.

I do not have a Win7 installation CD/DVD, so doing a fresh install is currently out of the question unless there is a free download somewhere.  I do have my CD key though.  It was pre-installed on my machine.  All other documentation has since been thrown away.

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

What software did you initially use to Clone the HDD to SSD?

I recommend using EaseUS ToDo Backup (You can install it into the HDD and clone within windows, or you can install it onto any computer and then create a linux "Emergency Disc" which can be a bootable CD/DVD/USB stick. Either will allow HDD to SSD cloning.

Alternatively, if you have a Samsung SSD, then Samsung SSD Migration tool actually works quite well.

Finally, if your HDD is WD branded, then you can download and install Acronis True Image WD Edition for free:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

Acronis is probably the best out of the three (The full paid for version is particularly awesome), but the free version only works if there is a Western Digital HDD connected to the system (Doesn't need to be the boot drive, can be any drive connected).

Now in terms of not being able to boot. Can you please be a little more specific? What error is it giving you? Can you take a picture of the screen/error with your phone to show us?

I would recommend putting the SSD back in as the primary drive, and when it passes POST (The BIOS screen), start rapidly hitting F8 repeatedly until a menu screen appears. You're looking for "Repair my computer" (the wording may be slightly different). If you are able to load into the Windows 7 repair screen, then I would click on "Repair Startup" and let it do it's thing.

You don't have a Windows 7 ISO downloaded? No copy of the Installation disk at all? How did you get Windows then? Is your system a prebuilt OEM machine? If so, what is the make and specific model number?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

My frustration and aggravation clouded my useful thinking and problem solving skills.  I'll post some actual useful info soon. 

Thanks for the reply.

My frustration and aggravation clouded my useful thinking and problem solving skills.  I'll post some actual useful info soon. 

Thanks for the reply.

No worries, it happens :) Just take a breather and come back when you're able to process the information and then we can help you get it done!

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The last application I used was called "Macrium Reflect".  Used their USB bootable program to clone the drives. 

The drive I'm attempting to clone has 3 partitions (I was under the impression there were only 2 until I started this venture).

1. System (None)  - None being no drive letter assigned.

2. T105736WOB © - C-drive

3. Storage (A) - The extra partition I created to store random stuff. 

The HDD is a Toshiba pulled from a laptop shortly before the Mobo crapped out on me.  The SSD is a PNY

When I try to have Windows fix the problem I get the follow 2 screens...  The last image is when I simply try to bypass the Auto-fix and boot...  El blue screen of death.

ohjrth.jpg

25ywsxi.jpg

The last image is when I simply try to bypass the Auto-fix and boot...  El blue screen of death.

2j2vqsh.jpg

I want to clone everyone to the SSD not only because the SSD will be a bit faster, but also because the computer the HDD was pulled from was basically running itself to the ground and I figured better late to copy the info and irreplacable programs than never.

The machine was store bought a few years ago roughly right when Win7 was released.  No additional CD for the OS were included. 

Hmm looks like the clone process is definitely missing something.

I would ask you to try giving EaseUS ToTo Backup Free edition a shot. It's free, and I've used it before to clone from HDD to SSD:

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/download.htm

Here is a nifty little guide from Lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

This will let you see if you skipped any steps maybe? Although Macrium Reflect SHOULD have worked.

I hate to say it, but same end result.  I did notice just before the blue screen, for about 2 seconds the screen is black and it says "

autochk program not found - skipping autocheck"

THEN the blue screen pops up

I hate to say it, but same end result.  I did notice just before the blue screen, for about 2 seconds the screen is black and it says "

autochk program not found - skipping autocheck"

THEN the blue screen pops up

Hmm it could be that the OS is partially corrupted, and something is being lost during the cloning process.

Can you get back into the Startup Repair, and then launch Command Prompt and run Check Disk.

See this for a little help:

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1718476&seqNum=5

Skip down to the part where it says "If you can't get into Windows, follow these steps"

Thanks for the quick replies, they're much appreciated.

When the debugger started, everything looked fine, then it stopped (see second imaged), then went to the bluescreen as pictured above.

ve67fa.jpg

**Currently Google for ideas and additional help.

A lot of the forums says the ASWsvrt.sys file has something to do w/ Avast.  I attempted to fully uninstall Avast and then clone...  The problem persisted.  

Stopped in the same place when I attempted in Safe mode followed by the blue screen.  

You can use AOMEI Partition assistant  5.5 standard edition To literally CLONE the whole thing mirror to mirror 100% I used those options (mostly to create 100% backup where i can just switch physical hard drives and keep on working in case anything unexpected happens)dad0c2b64b.png(download link right here http://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.html )

First things first: boot through your good 'ol HDD as if nothing and install the software
In order to avoid complete data loss-> Get an external hard drive or USB (huge capacity) and clone to it using the MIGRATE OS (OR the DISK COPY WIZARD) feature to the external unit(READ CAREFULLY THE PROMPT WINDOW)If it needs a reboot then let it be. After that wipe your new SSD using the WIPE HARD DRIVE to remove any useless residue. Delete the partition on the SSD in order to have un-allocated space on your SSD (where your OS will be cloned) Then let the cloning begin: Use the "Migrate OS to SSD or HDD"  NOTE:(Again) Read all the details carefully before clicking NEXT you don't want to choose a wrong drive and get everything messed up . Ready? Click apply (top left corner of the window) And you're good to go! It will boot into PRE-Os mode, AOMEI will do everything it needs to do. Give it some time, it's an HDD after all :) Hope it helps

Hue! The potato on the forums. Extreme Style.  "Adrenalin begins when gravity ends"~Studio Liverpool, Wipeout Fury/HD fanboy

That did it, thanks both of you for your efforts.

That did it, thanks both of you for your efforts.

Very strange. Must have been a small corrupted portion that wasn't being copied over properly by the other cloning software?

Glad it's working now though!