Used Core i7 2600k @ 160$

My friend as found a *use* intel core i7 2600k on the web at 160$, he asked me if it's a good deal for a budget gaming machine, i said holly crap yes it's a good starting point.

We are going for a long car trip thursday to get the so said CPU.

But before we go i would like anyone's opinion on the subject, is it a good buy?

thank you

If it works I think it's a grate buy, you'll never get that kind of performance if you buy a new CPU at that price.

I personally have a 2600k on my main pc, and it's awesome! They can happily be clocked upwards of 4.5 - 5GHz and seem to be quite cool even at these higher clock speeds. I know many people that prefer these 2nd gen processors over 3rd gen processors because of their bang for buck performance and incredible overclocking capacity. Mine is clocked at 4.8GHz and is aircooled with an aftermarket heat sink and I've never had an overheating problem. Keep in mind that integrated Intel 2000 graphics (2nd gen) aren't anywhere near where 3000 (3rd) gen graphics are, so if your friend plans on video editing perhaps a 3rd gen CPU from Intel would be a better choice. I would never recommend buying a used CPU as it could have faults in its cores, crushed or damaged pins from a failed installation or simply have an overheating issue. If the seller can provide you with valid warranty papers from Intel then I'd say go for it. If not, I'd stray away and get a brand new CPU. AMD will give you the best bang for buck and if it's a tight budget build I'd look into AMD's FX series. Nonetheless, good luck!

Is there anyway you can test it before heading back on your long drive? I would test it first in front of said seller.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Is there anyway you can test it before heading back on your long drive? I would test it first in front of said seller.

Yeah, you probably want to verify that it's fully functional.

And out of curiosity, how far is your road trip? lol

don't buy it as long as you see it run in his computer . prime 95 it for some time and make sure to bargain a bit more!! :P

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Thank you everybody for your comments much appreciated and the road trip by the way is 300 km

Hope you have the chance to see the CPU in action at this dude before you buy it and drive 300km back and find out its dead.... Good luck and have fun on the road trip :D!

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

do the i7 2600k/2700k overclock higher at cooler temps then a i5 2550k/2500k?

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

no.... the 2500K have better temps when OCed at higher speeds

no.... the 2500K have better temps when OCed at higher speeds

how about the 2550k vs the 2500k? :D

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss