Strange issue - black screen

Speedbird

Hi

So I have this problem: The screen goes black when booting. And the HDD LED is steady on. Also happens when installing an OS. I have tried several OSs and 2 different hard drives. The motherboard is an ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX, CPU is AMD Sempron 145. I have tried the onboard video and a GT330 too.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

So you're saying that it sometimes start until you can try to install an OS ???

and with given info my guess would be Ram/Mobo/CPU one of the three

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

So you're saying that it sometimes start until you can try to install an OS ???

and with given info my guess would be Ram/Mobo/CPU one of the three

It always powers up and POSTs but it never actually loads the OS. I will try different RAM today, but that is all I can do.

wow im kinda confused i'd think it has to be CPU or Mobo. But i'd lean towards the mobo did you try different sata ports maybe the sata port you use died somehow...

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

Do you have a disc in the optical bay, or a USB device plugged in while trying to boot?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Do you have a disc in the optical bay, or a USB device plugged in while trying to boot?

Nope.

Nope.

Seems to me, like it might be the motherboard then. Do the typical thing though, of going through and double checking all cable connections, and your boot order.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Seems to me, like it might be the motherboard then. Do the typical thing though, of going through and double checking all cable connections, and your boot order.

Will do that later today.

Okay, so I tried different RAM, different slot, more RAM, but they didn't work. Replacing the HDD would solve the issue when the HDD LED was steady on, but now I keep getting the same problems, but with HDD LED off.

Yeah i think the best thing is to RMA the MoBo

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

Yeah i think the best thing is to RMA the MoBo

I think that the stock TIM on the AMD cooler could be a problem. I'll try my own thermal paste before RMAing the board.

I think that the stock TIM on the AMD cooler could be a problem. I'll try my own thermal paste before RMAing the board.

how hot is your cpu

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

how hot is your cpu

Don't really know. When I'm in the BIOS menu it's about 45C, but it gets hotter when it's loading the OS. 

You're pc is old... U should buy a new budget pc its prob you're motherboards thats broken if you replaced the hdd then still black screen then yeah its prob broken motherboard u should try another videocard aswell but i dont think thats the problem at all...

You're pc is old... U should buy a new budget pc its prob you're motherboards thats broken if you replaced the hdd then still black screen then yeah its prob broken motherboard u should try another videocard aswell but i dont think thats the problem at all...

I bought the mobo, CPU and memory a few weeks ago....

I bought the mobo, CPU and memory a few weeks ago....

You're making a mix of old parts and new parts in you're pc you should not waste you're money on new parts... Beacuse these specs it looks bad. spare money for a budget pc 100% worth it.

You're making a mix of old parts and new parts in you're pc you should not waste you're money on new parts... Beacuse these specs it looks bad. spare money for a budget pc 100% worth it.

I have lots of PCs. This one was just meant to be a home server. That's why I didn't spend a lot on it.

I have lots of PCs. This one was just meant to be a home server. That's why I didn't spend a lot on it.

i have to say that you can kinda see it on the specs

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

i have to say that you can kinda see it on the specs

Did I mention the single 2GB memory module? And before I replaced it, I also had a 160GB hard drive.

Did I mention the single 2GB memory module? And before I replaced it, I also had a 160GB hard drive.

:D

Edit: I've read your original question again a few times and now i have to ask doesn't boot your pc or is it that the screen goes black or goes the screen black because the pc shuts off 

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

:D

Edit: I've read your original question again a few times and now i have to ask doesn't boot your pc or is it that the screen goes black or goes the screen black because the pc shuts off

It doesn't shut down. The screen just goes blank. The PC powers on, POSTs, tries to load an OS but then the screen goes blank.

It doesn't shut down. The screen just goes blank. The PC powers on, POSTs, tries to load an OS but then the screen goes blank.

Well i thought it would shut off 

So in this case because you checked the graphics i would orbit towards the cpu as the problem or your win install is messed up (just check with another pc )(if you already did sorry i forgot)

and the install mess up is something out of my deepest imagination that i consider a possibility

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

Well i thought it would shut off 

So in this case because you checked the graphics i would orbit towards the cpu as the problem or your win install is messed up (just check with another pc )(if you already did sorry i forgot)

and the install mess up is something out of my deepest imagination that i consider a possibility

It's probably the CPU, because I haven't installed any OS yet and I'm booting from installation USBs all the time. I will try different thermal paste on Sunday.

It's probably the CPU, because I haven't installed any OS yet and I'm booting from installation USBs all the time. I will try different thermal paste on Sunday.

do that 

Y U NO PICTURES

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻---

(not even emoticons ?)

Well, I replaced the thermal paste, but now I have a different issue: when installing an OS, it gets stuck. For example, when installing Windows, it's stuck at the Starting Windows screen.