First time builder!

jvongsana

I recently switched over from nursing to computer sciences as my major after taking some programming classes. Completely turned 180 on my major LOL So bear with me as for I am pretty noob when it comes to the hardware. I always just gave my brother money and he built a pc for me..

My goal is to try and spend no more than $1500 CAD, excluding peripherals. I'm going to be light gaming (League, CS, maybe something a little heavier in the future), pretty heavy web browsing and streaming (a lot of korean dramas and youtube), and programming of course. I'll be dual screening 2048x1152 monitors and I don't believe I'll be overclocking.  I do have two builds I quickly put together with not much prior knowledge to anything..  

There isn't much difference between the builds besides the mobo, ram, and case for flashiness haha.

Build 1: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/KVjXVn

Build 2: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/F6bXVn (wasn't able to find the case on site so here it is - Zalman H1 as case $139.99 CAD)

Please let me know how they look, what I should change, suggestions, or even completely new builds for my budget(I do have a thing for intel, rogs, and nvidia)! 

I'm fine with being a bit overkill, I want to get the most bang for my buck! 

Any feedback is very much appreciated, thanks!

z87 on a locker cpu, get a h97/b97

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

both build looks good

but you do know both CPUs are locked CPU 

meaning you cant OC them

you got a Z series boards

so i suggest getting the 4670K for the iTX and the 4690K for the Hero 7

for the same price you can pick the MSI R9 280 3GB Gaming GPU which will perform faster than the GTX760

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Looks solid

i7 4770k currently @ stock | 2x Sapphire r9 290 Tri-x in crossfire | 16 GB GSkill trident X @ 2400 Mhz | Asus z87 Sabertooth | NZXT h440 | NZXT Kraken x60 | Corsair RM1000 | BenQ XL2420TE

█▀▀░█░█░█▀█░█▀▀░█▀█ 
▀▀█░█░█░█▀▀░█▀░░█▀▄ 
▀▀▀░▀▀▀░▀░░░▀▀▀░▀░▀ 
█▄░▄█░█▀▀░█▀▀▀░ █▀█ 
█░█░█░█▀░░█░▀█░█▀▀█ 
▀░▀░▀░▀▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀░░▀ 
█░░█░█░▀▀█▀▀░█▀█░ █▀█ 
█░░█░█░░░█░░░█▀ ░ █▀▀█ 
▀▀▀▀░▀▀▀░▀░░░▀░▀░▀░░▀ 
█▀▀░█▀█░█░█▀▀ 
█▀░░█▀▀░█░█ 
▀▀▀░▀░░░▀░▀▀▀ 

Exept you need to get i5 4690k instad, also R9 280(X) would be better option than 760 :)

I think you all misread the same part.. LOL I DON'T believe I'll be overclocking haha I know i have the mobos for it but whatever. I like rogs :$

I think you all misread the same part.. LOL I DON'T believe I'll be overclocking haha I know i have the mobos for it but whatever. I like rogs :$

why not to overclock? =D

I think you all misread the same part.. LOL I DON'T believe I'll be overclocking haha but if i do ill take all those suggestions into thought, thanks!

it will be a better idea to pick the OCable CPUs now 

when you change you mind and want to OC 

you dont need to buy another CPU

just need to get a nice air cooler for OC

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

firstly your missing an cpu cooler in your setup as long as you´re not planning to use the boxed cooler (i wouldn´t)

the power supply seems ok but I`m not 100% sure if it will fit in the prodigy / i would recommend a silverstone strider gold s (http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=350&area=en)

maybe think about taking the prodigy m and going matx / cooling and cable management in the original prodigy is not that good

firstly your missing an cpu cooler in your setup as long as you´re not planning to use the boxed cooler (i wouldn´t)

the power supply seems ok but I`m not 100% sure if it will fit in the prodigy / i would recommend a silverstone strider gold s (http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=350&area=en)

maybe think about taking the prodigy m and going matx / cooling and cable management in the original prodigy is not that good

Originally I wasn't going to oc and if I didnt, the stock wouldve been just fine so i've read; however it does make sense to pick up a cpu i can oc with incase i change my mind in the future.. 

Yeah i watched some reviews on the prodigy and the cable management was pretty poor. I am leaning towards the zalman h1.

why not to overclock? =D

I don't think i would ever need to.. LOL but if i have rogs, might as well keep it an option?