please help me with windows 8 upgrade question!

TMF Minx

ok so i have an old dell presicion 490 workstation pc and im trying to get all the latest dobe affects programs but i can only use them on a newer windows since im using xp i cant. so i downlaoded windows 8 upgrade assist and it said secure boot isnt compatible does that mean i cant install windows 8 or if that feture just isnt usuable for me?

ok so i have an old dell presicion 490 workstation pc and im trying to get all the latest dobe affects programs but i can only use them on a newer windows since im using xp i cant. so i downlaoded windows 8 upgrade assist and it said secure boot isnt compatible does that mean i cant install windows 8 or if that feture just isnt usuable for me?

The why I understand it secure boot for windows 8 uses the UEFI to protect the computer from preventing malicious software applications and "unauthorized" operating systems from loading during the system start-up process.

So when you run the windows 8 upgrade assist you might see some red X as your computers motherboard is probably to old to have UEFI,.in most cases if your CPU/GPU and the memory is better then the min specs of Windows 8 it will work, but with the secure boot thing many people will switch it off but they have other means in securing the computer from malaware.

Cry Havoc!

It will install, but you have to do a clean install (you will lose everything). Secure boot basically uses UEFI (which is like a newer version of BIOS) to verify that no programs have overwritten Windows 8's boot sector. You'll be fine without it, as long as you have a good antivirus.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.