Reusing Windows 7

DerpyDerp123

I am planning to build a PC so I am just wondering if I can reuse Windows 7 from a laptop?

If you deactivate the key on your laptop (means you'll need another, or there'll be stupid popups and whatnot) and get the appropriate ISO, yes. You can deactivate the key by following the steps in this post. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/190967-moving-windows-from-1-pc-to-another/#entry2606148

Will there be a message on the bottom left stating your version of Window is not genuine and has there be any success with the procedure?

Will there be a message on the bottom left stating your version of Window is not genuine and has there be any success with the procedure?

Bottom right, but yeah. Generally it does work, but with the exception of OEM keys bound to specific motherboards. 9/10 times it works, and if it doesn't, you can reactivate on the computer you deactivated on.

Bottom right, but yeah. Generally it does work, but with the exception of OEM keys bound to specific motherboards. 9/10 times it works, and if it doesn't, you can reactivate on the computer you deactivated on.

How do you reactivate the computer you deactivated on?

How do you reactivate the computer you deactivated on?

Start menu>right click "my computer">properties>bottom of the screen>activate (or w/e)

If you deactivate the key on your laptop (means you'll need another, or there'll be stupid popups and whatnot) and get the appropriate ISO, yes. You can deactivate the key by following the steps in this post. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/190967-moving-windows-from-1-pc-to-another/#entry2606148

Can you also do the same thing to a laptop with Windows 8?

Can you also do the same thing to a laptop with Windows 8?

Yeah. You have to check which version the key is actually for, though, to obtain the ISO, since there's nowhere but Microsoft to obtain it from. (Not the version you're running, but the version of the key matters. Windows 8 keys did get you an upgrade to 8.1, but it's still a windows 8 key.)

Yeah. You have to check which version the key is actually for, though, to obtain the ISO, since there's nowhere but Microsoft to obtain it from. (Not the version you're running, but the version of the key matters. Windows 8 keys did get you an upgrade to 8.1, but it's still a windows 8 key.)

Well is there an tool to migrate a hard drive to another because it's basically copying another copy of Windows.

Well is there an tool to migrate a hard drive to another because it's basically copying another copy of Windows.

Quite a few, Google them for their appropriate URLs. ShadowCopy, CloneZilla, and Easeus backup are commonly used. There's also a well regarded software by Acronis, but I'm not sure if there's a free version,

Quite a few, Google them for their appropriate URLs. ShadowCopy, CloneZilla, and Easeus backup are commonly used. There's also a well regarded software by Acronis, but I'm not sure if there's a free version,

Do you need a USB to SATA cable?

Do you need a USB to SATA cable?

If you don't have another SATA port for the other drive, yep. Although, considering the fact you'd be switching hardware, you'd probably more problems than not, after cloning it. (eg crashes, drivers, etc.)

If you don't have another SATA port for the other drive, yep. Although, considering the fact you'd be switching hardware, you'd probably more problems than not, after cloning it. (eg crashes, drivers, etc.)

Can I just copy the Windows partition?

Can I just copy the Windows partition?

You can but you shouldn't. You'll be creating more problems for yourself down the line.