My first build

Hushpuppy

EDIT: NEW BUILD

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P7YPQ7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P7YPQ7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Noctua NT-H1 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($146.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($83.69 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.92 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1214.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-05 10:38 EDT-0400

So yea, this is my first ever build. I've been doing research for a while, and its finally going to happen. This is pretty close to what I'm going to end up, so I was just wondering if anything is overkill, unnecessary, or simply bad. Any help would be very appreciated. (I overshot the power supply by a lot because I plan on switching out graphics cards and probably doing sli in the future.)

Downgrade your CPU and get a better GPU

Maybe a FX-8320 and a GTX 770

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

nope nope nope nope... Been there done that and only had to change to intel in the long run anyway! I urge that you stay with that cpu its a beast for gaming! and the gpu will still run games pretty well if you have the settings around high at 1080p if set right! (im not an intel fan boy my first build was am3+ and it got annoying real fast mainly because it causes little stuttering here and there).

EDIT: If my card can run 1080p at high 60fps most games you will probably be able to push ultra on selected games like bf4 and such.

CPU - i5 4670K || Motherboard - Asus Z87-C  || RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical Memory 8GB || GPU - ASUS GTX 970 Strix || Case - Corsair 330R || Storage - 1TB Seagate || PSU - Corsair CX750 || Displays - AOC 21.5 LED x2 || Cooling - Arctic F12 PWM (x2) Corsair 120+140mm || Keyboard - Corsair K70 MX Red || Mouse - Roccat Kova+ || Sound - Thermaltake TTe Shock Headset

Get a cheaper cpu cooler, you don't need extra thermal paste, get a Seagate Barracuda instead of a WD Black, you can probably find a cheaper power supply, and I agree with Sonefiler, you may want to get a better graphics card.

Get a cheaper cpu cooler, you don't need extra thermal paste, get a Seagate Barracuda instead of a WD Black, you can probably find a cheaper power supply, and I agree with Sonefiler, you may want to get a better graphics card.

What would be the benefit of using a barracuda over a WD black?

Don't do that AMD FX 8320 and GTX 770 is a bad idea because FX 8320 is outdated and consumes more power and this is coming from an owner of AMD FX 8350,your configuration seems fine.Only thing i can suggest is get 2 TB HDD games these days have size of more than 50 gb and if you do editing,2TB will be a huge help.

What would be the benefit of using a barracuda over a WD black?

Pretty much just the price. There isn't a huge speed difference and it's not your boot drive so it doesn't really matter if it's as fast as possible. 

Pretty much just the price. There isn't a huge speed difference and it's not your boot drive so it doesn't really matter if it's as fast as possible. 

Alright, thanks.

Lower your CPU to a non K, overclocking doesn't give that muchj benefit anyway, and go for a gold or higher 450w-550w psu instead, it'll be better, and try to get a stronger GPU, like a 770 or a 280x.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

OK, So thanks for all the feedback so far. As basicly everyone has suggested I upgraded to a 770. I also switched out my cooler for a h100i, and my hard-drive out for a barracuda. does this seem like a more solid build?

Awesome, ive got tha same GPU but a bit worse CPU