Mechanical Keyboard Help :s

Dazza_the_Dragon

Hi, I was just looking into purchasing myself a very nice keyboard for my new gaming rig. I already own a Razer Ouroboros and a TurtleBeach PX21 headset so the only thing I really need left is to purchase myself a keyboard. I was hoping that it looks great, has a great layout/comfortable and is a QWERTY setup. Unfortunately I am Australian so please be considerate when it comes to choosing a keyboard. Thanks in return! :)

DAZZA THE DRAGON, MEMER AND KING OF DORITOS AND MOUNTAIN DEW.

I hear it is pretty easy to get Ducky's over there. I would recommend a Ducky Shine 3 or a Corsair K70. You don't need to ask for a QWERTY layout. 

I should be studying.

I hear it is pretty easy to get Ducky's over there. I would recommend a Ducky Shine 3 or a Corsair K70. You don't need to ask for a QWERTY layout. 

Ah sorry, as you can clearly see, I am overly tech savvy.

Do you want it to be mechanical? Would you rather it be ten-keyless? Any preferable colour? Green? Also, what is your budget? :)

itaroken

Do you want it to be mechanical? Would you rather it be ten-keyless? Any preferable colour? Green? Also, what is your budget? :)

Mechanical, Definitely Not, Rainbow preferably :3, $150~

As prodigy has said, Ducky's are pretty easy to get here, look at PCCaseGear.com for their full range. What properties do you want from your mechanical switches? Clicky or silent? Tactile bump or no tactile bump? Heavy or light (do you want to really press the keys hard, or barely tap them to get them to work)?

EDIT: just saw you want a rainbow backlight. The only real options are waiting for the RGB versions of the Corsair K70 and K95. If you need/want a lot of macro keys then go for the 95, otherwise the K70 RGB is perfect.

As prodigy has said, Ducky's are pretty easy to get here, look at PCCaseGear.com for their full range. What properties do you want from your mechanical switches? Clicky or silent? Tactile bump or no tactile bump? Heavy or light (do you want to really press the keys hard, or barely tap them to get them to work)?

Oh god, I didn't realise this was like defusing a bomb :P. Clicky, Heavy, Average response, Sorry what is tactile bump? :)

Oh god, I didn't realise this was like defusing a bomb :P. Clicky, Heavy, Average response, Sorry what is tactile bump? :)

Tactility means that you can feel when the switch activates. It's best described by the pics below.

Brown.gif

See the little hook on the left has to overcome a small bump on the brown part? That bump can be felt when you press the switch. Browns are a good middle ground between typing and gaming.

Blue.gif

The white bit on the blue switch not only causes them to have a similar bump to the browns, but it also makes the switch click unlike the browns. One of the best switches for typing.

3466550_568272.gif

Since the red has neither a bump on the shaft, nor that white sleeve, it has a very smooth action when pressed. Very good for gaming, not that great for typing.

Tactility means that you can feel when the switch activates. It's best described by the pics below.

Brown.gif

See the little hook on the left has to overcome a small bump on the brown part? That bump can be felt when you press the switch. Browns are a good middle ground between typing and gaming.

Blue.gif

The white bit on the blue switch not only causes them to have a similar bump to the browns, but it also makes the switch click unlike the browns. One of the best switches for typing.

3466550_568272.gif

Since the red has neither a bump on the shaft, nor that white sleeve, it has a very smooth action when pressed. Very good for gaming, not that great for typing.

Ohhh, Switches.. I'd probably have to go for brown or red, since I am an active gamer. What is your personal preference?

Ohhh, Switches.. I'd probably have to go for brown or red, since I am an active gamer. What is your personal preference?

My curent favourite is one that I didn't  show there. It's a green, which is basically a blue that requires 80 grams of force to activate instead of the 50g that blues require to activate.

Hi, I was just looking into purchasing myself a very nice keyboard for my new gaming rig. I already own a Razer Ouroboros and a TurtleBeach PX21 headset so the only thing I really need left is to purchase myself a keyboard. I was hoping that it looks great, has a great layout/comfortable and is a QWERTY setup. Unfortunately I am Australian so please be considerate when it comes to choosing a keyboard. Thanks in return! :)

Can you wait till the RGB from corsair comes out?

K70 is a nice keyboard, and it standardly comes with red switches I believe.

Can you wait till the RGB from corsair comes out?

If I can get an ETA I could, they look godly.

Then the places to buy from are here and here. I noticed you said you have a Razer mouse already, if you want a Black/Acid Green keyboard to match, you could always get yourself a Blackwidow. Duckys come in every colour under the sun, every configuration.

You should look at picking up a switch tester. Also I wouldn't buy into that whole, "YOU MUST BUY REDS OR BLACKS FOR GAMING, BLUES FOR TYPING, BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!". Sorry to come across as obnoxious, but as I pointed out in another thread today, several top-tier pro-gamers use MX Blues, and are more than capable of averaging 350+ actions per minute on Starcraft 2. Double tapping? More like octo-tapping.

If you're buying blindly, browns are probably the way to go. But like I said, switch tester, see what kind of feeling you want. Maybe you'll like reds. I personally can't use them, but that's me, not you.

The other thing I want to point out, don't fall into the other gimmick of "YOU MUST HAVE MILLIONS OF MACRO KEYS". I honestly pulled those keys of my keyboard because they were annoying. I read in APC recently during their mech-keyboard round-up, something about how if you buy a keyboard without macro keys, you miss all the best bits about owning a mechanical keyboard. Which is definitely not the case IMHO. Again, if you want them, get them, but don't feel you have to get them.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM