High quality headphones for $250?

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a high quality headset for a reasonable price. Just looking for some ideas on some good products.

I'm trying to find headphones with at least 110db output; preferably higher. Thanks guys.

• Price: $250 max (CAD)
  • Aim: Gaming, Lossless music, Music production
  • Style: Closed Ear
  • Jack: Almost any conncetion except usb is fine
  • Audio taste: My music taste is heavy/technical metal but something with good quality sound is the main thing.
  • Sound Card: I don't have the sound card yet but i'm looking at buying the Sound Blaster Zxr
  • Mic: I would like an external microphone as well so suggestions are welcome.

My Rig: NZXT Phantom 820, H100i, 3570k, MSI GTX 670 Lightning, GTX 650TI, Asrock Extreme 4, Kingston Hyper X 2133mhz 16gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120gb (x2)

Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster SA850D (2560 X 1440)

I would look to AKG. I think the K702s are very good at those sorts of things. I'm not too sure here, I don't have them myself, but those I know who are into music production use something like that and have nothing but good things to say.

Edit: Crap, they're open, and they're expensive...

Cool, havn't heard about AKG so i'll take a took. Thanks

My Rig: NZXT Phantom 820, H100i, 3570k, MSI GTX 670 Lightning, GTX 650TI, Asrock Extreme 4, Kingston Hyper X 2133mhz 16gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120gb (x2)

I think the AKG K701/702 are open though.

As a closed headphone I could recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770PRO.

Didn't try it myself, but it's a nice closed headphone with a bit too much bass.

For gaming I'd recommend headphones with a bigger soundstage, which are probably open ones, though.

I look into this issue myself, since I need some open gaming/music headphones myself.

If you decide to get open headphones (which offer a better sound anyway) I can give you these:

AKG 701/702

Sennheiser 598

Audio Technica ATH-AD700

AiAiAi TMA-1 Studio are quite neutral from what i read so would be good for music production and competitive games etc, Closed as well just not sure whether you could get them for the money.

Headset

I own a Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO and i can only recommend it. Great overall soundquality and resolution. Also good in the field of isolation and buildquality. Some people find that the mids are a little bit recessed though.

Most of the really positionally accurate headphones are open ear. Keep that in mind. If you do consider open ear headphones, I wouldn't recommend the Audiotechnica AD700's purely because of the lack of bass. The Sennheiser 598's are just as good for gaming and give better bass.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I'll deffinitly consider going open ear for sure. just thought closed would be better for some reason. Thanks again guys.

I'm trying to find headphones with at least 110db output

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/more-power.html

I'd reccomend a Beyerdynamic Dt990pro and a FiiO E10 if you find a sale btw it might just come under your budget.  Especially since you like metal so much.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."