I need a new and beefier RIG - 2.3k $USD max.

So first of all to clear things up: I'm swiss, I've learned english by myself. I apologize in advance if I have grammatical fails or stuff like that. Just correct me. :)

Also: This Build is going to happen in the beginning of november. Because at the end of the 2nd semester of 2014 (which is in January 2015), I'll need to be finished. Also I want my build in a black / red config.

1. Budget & Location

My Budget and Location are simple: I live in Switzerland, so 1 USD is 0.904 CHF or 1 CHF is 1.105 USD. (26th of July 2014, 4:26 PM, GMT +1)

I'll add a parts list with the price in USD and CHF.

Also my max. Budget is 2.1k CHF (Swiss Franks) or ~ 2.3k USD.

Yes, I did on purpose NOT look it up on the parts picker website. That's why I've posted a link to the site I buy my stuff at, down below. v

If you want to look up where I buy my parts: KLICK It's a really good retailer in switzerland and yeah. They're cheap, have good service and are in switzerland (where I live.. If you haven't already foundt out, that I live there, ... :P)

2. Aim

I want to use it for a lot. I'm a heavy gamer and I like to play smooth and beautiful games, such as Battlefield 4 or Crysis or stuff like that. I also like to do a lot of Photoshop and I want to start After Effects. So the parts I choose are choosen with some thinking.

3. Monitors

I'm planning till end of 2015 to have a setup of 4 Monitors. ATM I'm fine with 2. I'll run both atm @ 1080p. Which is enough for me, honestly.

4. Peripherals

No OS or Peripherals needed. Got those. (Windows 7 Ult., Logitech G710+, MadCatz Cyborg MMO 7)

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm uprading, because of two things. First: I'tll be a project for my school. The grade of this project will flow in with my final grades. Second: I need a (mostly) new and beefier system which doesn't look like frankenstein made it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Parts List (stuff I already have)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene (LGA 1155)

Processor: Core i7 2700k/2600k (I'll need to clear that one up, but I'll be fine with one of those.)

Hard Drives: 1x 2TB WD Green (I'll add two more SSD's to be in a Raid 0, just for the sake of faster loading games)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 850Watt

Peripherals and Monitors: 2x 1080p Monitors, Logitech G710+, Mad Catz MMO7)

Stuff I need:

Cooling solution for my processor: I was thinking of an Noctua NH-U14S, ~ 90 CHF/~ 99 USD. But I'm not sure.

RAM: I'm not sure tbh. But I'll need 16 GB of Ram for PS and AE anyway. So I'll need help there.

SSD's: I want two SSD's in Raid 0 for performance. I'm not sure for the capacity. I'll need to go there on a Cash per GB route.

Case: Yes, I have a case. But I don't even remember which one it was. It's a crappy 60 bucks thing I got of a sale. I was thinking about an NZXT 440 (Black / Red) - 142 CHF / ~ 157 USD

GPU: Now this part is pretty firm. I was thinking of an ASUS GTX-780 DirectCU II OC (GK110, 3GB) for 506 CHF/ ~ 560 USD.

I'll also need some more fans for the case. But I'm not sure which ones I should get. Corsair series sounds okay in my mind. But you guys, know better. So yeah. Give me some cool fanse which are in my colour scheme of black and red.

If I forgott something, just add it. Also I'm sorry for this big post. :)

Also thanks to everyone in advance who is willing to help me get the right parts. :)

~Unbr34k4bl3

just to be clear, you have 2.3k for

- CPU Cooler

- RAM

- SSD

- Case

- GPU

- Fans

???

Uhm. Pretty much. BUT. If you can find me a good reason to switch to a other mobo and CPU, go for it. The only part I'm really firm on is the GPU. Everything else can be modified. :)

If you already have the cpu and board then there is no reason to change them. The 2600K/2700K is still a good cpu.

How are you using the 2 monitors ? Is one for gaming and one for working on ?

Here:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($138.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card  ($528.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 2 50.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($17.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1275.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-26 11:10 EDT-0400

Get the cheapest 16GB kit (2x8).

290X instead of 780 because more screens = more vram needed

Get as many of those fans as you need (1 there just as reference)

Do you have the i7 2XXX or are you going to buy it? I suggest getting a 3770K for pci e gen 3.0 (useful if you want to use future cards or SLI / CFX)
Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Here:

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($138.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card  ($528.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 2 50.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($17.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1275.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-26 11:10 EDT-0400

Get the cheapest 16GB kit (2x8).

290X instead of 780 because more screens = more vram needed

Get as many of those fans as you need (1 there just as reference)

Sweet. Nice Idea with the 290X.. But it doesn't have shadowplay. :/ That's mainly why I choose the 780 lol.

If you already have the cpu and board then there is no reason to change them. The 2600K/2700K is still a good cpu.

How are you using the 2 monitors ? Is one for gaming and one for working on ?

Good question. Well.. ATM I'm using one of them to play games on and the other for like teamspeak or skype or chrome tbh.

Uhm. Pretty much. BUT. If you can find me a good reason to switch to a other mobo and CPU, go for it. The only part I'm really firm on is the GPU. Everything else can be modified. :)

Well with that much money... I'd say:

- CPU Cooler: H 220-X

- RAM: Pretty much any thing is fine, so how about this? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c10d16gtx , or any cheaper Ram at 1600Mhz or whatever is fine too

- SSD: Just go with Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, 2 of it

- Case: It depend on what you like, so how about Corsair 450D, 750D, Cosmos etc?

- GPU: If you are planing to go with higher than 1080p resolution, how about the 6GB of the GTX 780 instead of that 3GB? and get them in SLI since you have so much money LOL

- Fans: You probably dont need any, but if you want grab a pair of Noctua silent fans for the CPU Cooler

Also, if you want to change CPU/Mobo (You probably dont need to) then an i5 4690k and MSI Z97 G45 Gaming Mobo.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I know what you want to say. And personally atm in my momentairly RIG I have an AMD card. And don't get me wrong, I'm happy with it. It's just that a 780 DCUII sounds better than a 290x :P Also Because I'll probably get a second one next year. Since I don't plan to throw all money away. xD

Well with that much money... I'd say:

- CPU Cooler: H 220-X

- RAM: Pretty much any thing is fine, so how about this? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c10d16gtx , or any cheaper Ram at 1600Mhz or whatever is fine too

- SSD: Just go with Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD, 2 of it

- Case: It depend on what you like, so how about Corsair 450D, 750D, Cosmos etc?

- GPU: If you are planing to go with higher than 1080p resolution, how about the 6GB of the GTX 780 instead of that 3GB? and get them in SLI since you have so much money LOL

- Fans: You probably dont need any, but if you want grab a pair of Noctua silent fans for the CPU Cooler

Also, if you want to change CPU/Mobo (You probably dont need to) then an i5 4690k and MSI Z97 G45 Gaming Mobo.

Cpu Cooler sounds neat. I'll save that in my mind. :)

For the RAM: I don't know.. :/ I'll need to look into that more. But I'll  save that one too.. :)

The SSD's sound nice. I think I'll stick with them.

Hmm.. The case.. well.. I thought about the NZXT H440 Black/Red, since my scheme is going to be black/red.

Lol.. sure. One this year to get started and a second one next year for multiple monitors will work just perfect. :)

I thought about the noctua ones.. but tbh they look like crap. That's why it got me thinking about the corsair AF ones. :)

An i5? Lol.. I'd go either i7 or nothing tbh. :D the mobo looks sweet. I'll take a look into that one.

Do you have the i7 2XXX or are you going to buy it? I suggest getting a 3770K for pci e gen 3.0 (useful if you want to use future cards or SLI / CFX)

My dad has a spare 2600k or 2700k lying around.. I think. I'll buy it off him. I ain't even sure, if I should stick with the Gene V or If I want to get a beefier Mobo. I'll need to think over that, and look at the prices. Also I don't really WANT to spend so much money, if I don't need to. :)

My dad has a spare 2600k or 2700k lying around.. I think. I'll buy it off him. I ain't even sure, if I should stick with the Gene V or If I want to get a beefier Mobo. I'll need to think over that, and look at the prices. Also I don't really WANT to spend so much money, if I don't need to. :)

Hi Dad, please can I have your 2600K/2700K ? Ok thanks  :D Thats how you should play it  B)

Hi Dad, please can I have your 2600K/2700K ? Ok thanks  :D Thats how you should play it  B)

Hahhahaaha , sure, it would be cool..   B)

But you know. Nothing is free in life. And you can't argue with 100 bucks for such a cpu. xP

@Unbr34k4bl3,

What are you looking for in a case? E.G. quiet, cooling, looks?

SSD in RAID 0 is only a good idea in very limited circumstances. For general desktop work, gaming, and media editing there is no perceptible improvement. A good review of the topic is http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html. I would suggest getting a single, larger ssd.

I would suggest a better quality power supply. You have not mentioned SLI. If you have no intention to add a second gpu then you should be looking at a 650W psu.

The optimal cooling solution depends on the case that is eventually chosen and your goals vis a vis noise & overclocking.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

@Unbr34k4bl3,

What are you looking for in a case? E.G. quiet, cooling, looks?

SSD in RAID 0 is only a good idea in very limited circumstances. For general desktop work, gaming, and media editing there is no perceptible improvement. A good review of the topic is http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html. I would suggest getting a single, larger ssd.

I would suggest a better quality power supply. You have not mentioned SLI. If you have no intention to add a second gpu then you should be looking at a 650W psu.

The optimal cooling solution depends on the case that is eventually chosen and your goals vis a vis noise & overclocking.

1st: cooling and looks.

2nd: I think you made me clear with that benchmark thing from tomshw. I'll probably stick with 2 SSD's in Raid 0, since I want to start some After Effects stuff and also I want to start to do some stuff with Let's Plays or Gameplay videos and such.

3rd: I'll stick with my RM 850 (It's gold certified and I don't plan on getting a new PC in the next 3 Years.). I want to get a SLI going at some point and time. I just don't know when. You know it's 2.3k max I can wait another 2-3 Months before getting a second GPU.

4th: Not sure, I thought about the h440 because it is fairly cheap but also pretty good. It has a good reputation. And I also like the blackand red scheme of it. If you can think of a case with a similar colour scheme. Go for it. I'll happily take a look :D

Also: Idc about Noise. I'm using DT770 from Beyerdynamic. So I won't hear a thing. :P (Seriously though, I really don't hear my PC that I have atm. and it's loud..) I want to OC my CPU. I was thinking of getting (hopefully) 4.4 - 4.6 GHz. Which should be more than addequit for my needs. :) (Also I want a beefy system.. so you know.., something to show off and talk about but also something that'll be really great at production.)

Any other questions? :)

The cooler seems interesting. Never heard of it though, I'm gonna take some looks at benchmarks from it. :)

Also thanks for using the link I provided. It helps me alot withn understanding prices. :)

. . .

3rd: I'll stick with my RM 850 (It's gold certified and I don't plan on getting a new PC in the next 3 Years.). I want to get a SLI going at some point and time. I just don't know when. You know it's 2.3k max I can wait another 2-3 Months before getting a second GPU.

. . .

80+ Gold certified is a certification of electrical efficiency. It has nothing to do with component or build quality. Nor does it guaranty high quality power delivery.

Well. That's true. My bad :P. But you know I heard good stuff about it. That's why I bought it half a year ago. It's a sweet piece of hardware. And it was cheap. So yeah. Also 850 Watts in SLI config of Dual ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II and all the other stuff I have should be sufficient. More than enough.

Please explain what you meant with build quality. I only pretty nuch had positive impressions of it. And watched alot of reviews. :)

The cooler seems interesting. Never heard of it though, I'm gonna take some looks at benchmarks from it. :)

Also thanks for using the link I provided. It helps me alot withn understanding prices. :)

It is a very good cooler. Alpenfohn are a German company and they make good products. They do some nice fans as well called wingboost. Another good alternative for the cooler is this Phanteks.

https://shop.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-140mm-cpu-coolers-416206?tagIds=76-526

Well. That's true. My bad :P. But you know I heard good stuff about it. That's why I bought it half a year ago. It's a sweet piece of hardware. And it was cheap. So yeah. Also 850 Watts in SLI config of Dual ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II and all the other stuff I have should be sufficient. More than enough.

Please explain what you meant with build quality. I only pretty nuch had positive impressions of it. And watched alot of reviews. :)

Ahh, I missed the fact that you already have the psu. Don't bother replacing it. There is nothing wrong with it (depending on when it was made). It is simply not the best one can purchase at its price point.

Build quality refers to how the various components are assembled. Things like soldering, glue application, wire routing, etc.

You must of missed the hardocp review of the initial RM-750 model, http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/#.UoPM-D93vKs.

It is difficult evaluating new psu. Especially from companies that are very good at marketing.

It is a very good cooler. Alpenfohn are a German company and they make good products. They do some nice fans as well called wingboost. Another good alternative for the cooler is this Phanteks.

https://shop.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-140mm-cpu-coolers-416206?tagIds=76-526

Wow... The phanteks kinda big isn't it? Lol.

It also came into my mind that there is a Noctua NH-U14S :P any thoughts on that?

Ahh, I missed the fact that you already have the psu. Don't bother replacing it. There is nothing wrong with it (depending on when it was made). It is simply not the best one can purchase at its price point.

Build quality refers to how the various components are assembled. Things like soldering, glue application, wire routing, etc.

You must of missed the hardocp review of the initial RM-750 model, http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/#.UoPM-D93vKs.

It is difficult evaluating new psu. Especially from companies that are very good at marketing.

Ok. Cool. ^_^

Now I know better! (Seriously, it sounded kinda sarcastic, so I just wanted to clearify that.) Thanks ;)

I'll take a look at the 750 Article.

And just saying: for me it (the RM 850) works perfect. There is like no annoying noise or such from it. And It works like a champ. :)

And just saying: for me it (the RM 850) works perfect. There is like no annoying noise or such from it. And It works like a champ. :)

Very happy to hear that your psu is working well.

Wow... The phanteks kinda big isn't it? Lol.

It also came into my mind that there is a Noctua NH-U14S :P any thoughts on that?

The Phanteks is huge  :D  The H440 case takes up to 180mm cooler height, and the Phanteks is 171mm.

The Noctua is a good cooler as well, although it doesn't fit in with a red/black colour scheme. You would have to swap the fans if you wanted to keep the colour the same.

The Phanteks is huge  :D  The H440 case takes up to 180mm cooler height, and the Phanteks is 171mm.

The Noctua is a good cooler as well, although it doesn't fit in with a red/black colour scheme. You would have to swap the fans if you wanted to keep the colour the same.

With the H440 you might consider the Kraken X61. Besides being an excellent cooler it has user configured lighting on the pump head.