CM Hyper T4 weird overheating problem

akaslan

Hey guys,

I had my q9400 running with the stock cooler and running 45-47 oC on idle with the ambient tempratures around 28-30 oC so I decided to buy an aftermarket cooler.

I bought a Cooler Master Hyper T4. Came home, took it out of the box and saw that some heatpipes were squished on the top. Check them closely, didn't find any openings or holes so thought it is just something aesthetics no big deal. I took out my motherboard since I don't have a cpu cut out on my case. Put the cooler on and tested it on my motherboard box. It worked brilliantly. 35 oC on idle and 55 oC after 10 minutes of Prime95. So I put the thing on my case. Tempratures on idle went up 45 oC and on load it went off the roof. after 1 minutes of Prime95 I saw 85 oC on the hottest core. Now comes the weird part: I laid my case down and tempratures started to went down. All the way down to 55oC and stabiliesed there.

So my question is could the reason be the heatpipes? Or something else maybe?

Sorry for the long story part,  :unsure:

EDIT: These are the heatpipes in question.

4q08iN3.jpg

dsnqpto.jpg

YYvEV3T.jpg

It defenetly could be the heatpipes. Heatpipes have a liquid inside that vaporizes because of the heat. Maybe the heatpipes were damaged, but not enough for the liquid to come out, but for the gas to come out (also metal grows under heat, so maybe the leaks just appeared under load anyway). That would mean the liquid inside the heatpipes would vanish after time. That would dramatically decrease cooling performance.

The simpler solution would be that the thermal compound that was included (if you used it) was already a bit old and lost it heat transfer abilities already shortly after installing the heatsink.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E + AMD Ryzen 3800X; EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW Supersilent; 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600; bequiet! Dark Power Pro 10 750W; Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + 2x 1TB 860 EVO; PHANTEKS Evolve X + Custom Liquid Cooling

@akaslan

Could you post a picture of your heatpipes? Also you might have a bad mount on your cooler. You could try remounting it to see if you get a better mount. That might be why you get better temps when you lay your case down.

I remounted it dozens of times. It has a really crappy mounting mechanism, doesn't feel solid at all. It is really fragile. While trying to put the CPU power connector the whole thing let lose several times even if I bumped it a little.

How tight are you getting the screws? That's really strange... I take it you're tightening them in a diagonal pattern then? If nothing else you could always put the stock cooler back on and see if you can return the T4 and maybe exchange it for a 212 Evo if it'll fit in your case...

EDIT: Looking at your heatpipes, (thanks for posting a good amount of pictures, by the way) some of them are a bit worse than mormal, but that is how they seal off the ends of heatpipes, by pinching them like that, but a few of them are a bit worsely finished than others.... maybe see if nothing else of you can replace your cooler...

EDIT 2: This is what they should look more like. This is my 212 Evo

After trying to remount it now I found out that the problem with it being fragile is completely caused by the locking mechanism. It locks to the retention bars by the very end of them so every vibration that is big enough is letting it loose.

This is the way it should be

IMG_1262.jpg

Can that cause the cooler to not contact the CPU correctly though? Also I really would not prefer to return it since the retailer I bought the cooler is not very customer friendly in such occasions (Still the best one in my country...) Could there be a way to somehow fix it in a ghetto way?

Is there any way you can install this bar upside down and really push on it to get the clip to get over that hook?

EDIT: To answer your question, if you don't get sufficent pressure on top of the CPU, it won't make enough contact on the top of your CPU, thus not conducting enough heat, and raising your temperatures, but as @Held657 said, there could also be a problem with your heatpipes, and it looks like the top middle heatpipe on you cooler looks bent, as if it was dropped or something. If doing that little hack with reversing that bar doesn't work, my other thought is that your thermal paste hasn't "burnt in" yet. Some thermal paste has a burn in time, or curing time, before you'll get better temperatures.

Oh my god! I feel so stupid right now. That little hack was actually the proper mounting that was on the manual... Last time I didn't read the manual.  :angry:  

I inverted them back and it is rock solid. And temps are better than ever 46 oC on Prime95 for the last 5 minutes.

I simply can't thank you enough.

• 1 year later...
On 24.07.2014 at 1:47 AM, akaslan said:

Hey guys,

I had my q9400 running with the stock cooler and running 45-47 oC on idle with the ambient tempratures around 28-30 oC so I decided to buy an aftermarket cooler.

I bought a Cooler Master Hyper T4. Came home, took it out of the box and saw that some heatpipes were squished on the top. Check them closely, didn't find any openings or holes so thought it is just something aesthetics no big deal. I took out my motherboard since I don't have a cpu cut out on my case. Put the cooler on and tested it on my motherboard box. It worked brilliantly. 35 oC on idle and 55 oC after 10 minutes of Prime95. So I put the thing on my case. Tempratures on idle went up 45 oC and on load it went off the roof. after 1 minutes of Prime95 I saw 85 oC on the hottest core. Now comes the weird part: I laid my case down and tempratures started to went down. All the way down to 55oC and stabiliesed there.

So my question is could the reason be the heatpipes? Or something else maybe?

Sorry for the long story part,  :unsure:

EDIT: These are the heatpipes in question.

4q08iN3.jpg

dsnqpto.jpg

YYvEV3T.jpg

how did you mount it vertically my one is horisontal?