Yet another Windows thread.

PassionFruit

But isn't there also the Pro version of Windows? Kinda like Ultimate?

What would that be called then? Windows P?

Windows 7 had a Professional, business-moiriented version, but for 8/8.1, Pro is just codename for 'not screwing you over with a diluted version of Windows'

sad_kitten.jpg

Can this be the wallpaper of my life

The question is, if I buy this Win 8 version will the upgrade to 8.1 be free as well as it was for people who bought 8 in the first place?  If so why is 8.1 Pro advertised on the same page for 55-ish USD, when you can just get 8 and upgrade for 15-ish USD?  

The question is, if I buy this Win 8 version will the upgrade to 8.1 be free as well as it was for people who bought 8 in the first place?  If so why is 8.1 Pro advertised on the same page for 55-ish USD, when you can just get 8 and upgrade for 15-ish USD?  

The update from Windows 8 to 8.1 is free.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

The update from Windows 8 to 8.1 is free.

Exactly so why buy 8.1 for a few bucks more from the same site.  I'm just saying, seeing that makes the whole transaction suspect.  I was just trying to buy it but for some reason when I attempt to put it in the cart their site drops and says they can't load it.   Disappointing because at that price it's worth every penny. 

Just for clarity I bit the bullet and the code worked out fine, so far, it's downloading 8.1 now after having put in the code and it being accepted by Microsoft.   I'm in Vegas and like a gamble, especially when it's a less than 20 dollar bet to win a 200 dollar item, essentially.  

Exactly so why buy 8.1 for a few bucks more from the same site.  I'm just saying, seeing that makes the whole transaction suspect.  I was just trying to buy it but for some reason when I attempt to put it in the cart their site drops and says they can't load it.   Disappointing because at that price it's worth every penny. 

If you actually click the link the difference in price is only $3.55

Why I have no idea.

(Maybe)If you have a Windows 8 key you pay less, but you don't get to download 8.1 right away and have to update later. Whereas the 8.1 key lets you download 8.1 straight away and install it as that.

Now don't know if it is like that, just guessing.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

If you actually click the link the difference in price is only $3.55

Why I have no idea.

(Maybe)If you have a Windows 8 key you pay less, but you don't get to download 8.1 right away and have to update later. Whereas the 8.1 key lets you download 8.1 straight away and install it as that.

Now don't know if it is like that, just guessing.

Well did end up downloading 8.1 for the couple bucks more.  So far so good.  There are aspects I like and others I don't.  8.1 does make some changes that help adapt that 8 was just a way to make you confused and lost, 8.1 at least you're able to tell what programs are open and can close full screen apps thanks to the addition of the x in the top right again.  8.1 is ok, 8.0 was just a disaster. 

Well did end up downloading 8.1 for the couple bucks more.  So far so good.  There are aspects I like and others I don't.  8.1 does make some changes that help adapt that 8 was just a way to make you confused and lost, 8.1 at least you're able to tell what programs are open and can close full screen apps thanks to the addition of the x in the top right again.  8.1 is ok, 8.0 was just a disaster. 

I suggest you disable Metro and get a start key there are many free and very good solutions to it online.

Google the guide.

Command Center:

Just for clarity I bit the bullet and the code worked out fine, so far, it's downloading 8.1 now after having put in the code and it being accepted by Microsoft.   I'm in Vegas and like a gamble, especially when it's a less than 20 dollar bet to win a 200 dollar item, essentially.  

Just to be extra clear, you bought THIS PRODUCT and everything was fine? You didn't get scammed? This could really help me get some better parts for some computers I'm building for this company.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5-3570K | 32GB G.SKILL 1600MHz | EVGA SSC GTX 1060 6GB  | Corsair CX-750W | NZXT Tempest 210 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 

Just to be extra clear, you bought THIS PRODUCT and everything was fine? You didn't get scammed? This could really help me get some better parts for some computers I'm building for this company.

Not that one, but from the same site, I paid the extra buck and change to go through G2A's verification process.  No problems at all.  Ha, just read that, it's two bucks cheaper than when I bought it.  *shrug*  

This...

https://www.g2a.com/windows-8-professional-32-64-bit-cd-key-global.html

Is what I actually got, cost a few bucks more but as someone else mentioned it saved time of having to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 later. 

Site deducted what it was supposed to, no more, no less.  They give you a link to DL directly from Windows, you put the code in and boom, it installs.  I went from 7 to 8.1.  

• 4 weeks later...