Beginner planning a build!

Greetings!

I've been thinking of building my own rig for a while but was held back by my utter inexperience and how daunting the process is! Stumbling upon Linus' channels on youtube helped me to learn so much and now I feel much more confident to execute the assembly process. Unfortunately, my inexperience includes build planning as well, so i'm here hoping to learn from the awesome community! This is my first rig so I do not plan to do anything even remotely fancy like utilizing water cooling.

I reside in Singapore so i'll be working with $SGD, the purchasable parts listed below comes up to around $1,000 SGD which is fine, but alternatives with lower costs would be preferred! There are also a few parts that I will be migrating from my current rig, which I have labelled below in my list.

My goal for the build is a mid-ranged gaming rig and to have the motherboard and CPU last for a while, upgrading the rest as necessary over time. I have no current nor future plans to do any overclocking, thus my choices in the motherboard, cpu and cpu cooler. From my understanding, the motherboard chosen supports only CrossFire and not SLI, which can be problematic for my inherited Nvidia card. However, I much prefer a single card to a multi card setup so that shouldn't be a problem even in the future.

Given all that, I suspect that my chosen PSU is overkill for my current and future needs (no overclocking, single GPU only). Would the Seasonic M12II-520W model be more apt?

I am also largely unsure about the CPU / Motherboard combo, researching that part was a big headache for me.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: Asus H97-Pro
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (inherited from current rig)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (inherited from current rig)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (inherited from current rig)

Case: CoolerMaster 690 III

PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 520W Bronze

I would greatly appreciate any input, thank you so much!

i am from Singapore here

you got a nice system coming up

but I will suggest getting 8GB instead of 16GB

no overkill with that PSU

the mobo is good or you can opt for MSI H97 board which is cheaper

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

welcome to the forums!

like above, drop to 8gb ram and you are golden  :D

your next big upgrade for awhile will be a new gpu

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Thank you guys very much for the responses! Glad to see fellow Singaporeans here!

I was going for the 2x8 ram mainly because I was hoping to kind of "install and forget" about that component for a long long while. But I guess the extra 8gb is indeed not worth the $100 extra, and should I ever need more ram in the future, they can be easily replaced anyway.

I suppose you guys shop from Sim Lim Square yeah? So far i've based everything off Fuwell's price list and plan to buy everything I need from there. Will that be a good plan? Or should I buy different parts from different shops? And I read that Fuwell is a reputable shop, is that true?

the mobo is good or you can opt for MSI H97 board which is cheaper

I looked up the price of MSI H97 and it's $15 cheaper, but I like the part of the ASUS mobo that allows easy connection of the power, reset etc switches which I foresee myself needing very much haha. But thank you for the recommendation :D

I'm really glad to hear that the system plan will work out! Hopefully I won't mess up the assembly!

Thank you guys very much again, now I just have to go down to SLS!

nice, another singaporean. Welcome to computer heaven,so far i see no problems from your build. Btw 8GBs should be more then enough

Here's a build i suggested ealier maybe it can help you decide

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/181961-mmorpg-build-non-overclocking-singapre/

just change out the parts that you already have.

I don't see much diffrence in the specs of the motherboard seeing how the asus one is like $40.00 diffrent

I dropped by SLS today and finished building my rig earlier tonight!

So far everything seems to be working fine :D

Thank you everyone for your advice!