Alienware laptop RAM question

Zohan2000

on my old Alienware laptop (dont hate, wasnt that tech savvy when getting into PC gaming) and i was thinking of doing a bit of upgrading on it instead of buying a new laptop in a hope to save some money, when looking on the parts list of the laptop i noticed next to the RAM it said SDRAM, and im wondering is this the same as SODIMM RAM or something else entirely different? cause i was thinking of putting 16GBs of Corsair Vengeance SODIMM RAM into it and putting a WD black2 SSD/HDD combo drive in it and maybe put windows 8.1 in hopes for a bit more performance from the old laptop or i could do a few upgrades on it and try and sell it off and continue to save money for a smaller, faster and better MSI laptop

Sell it to an idiot and say it's the best laptop in the gaming world right now, then go build a desktop.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

Nothing wrong with their laptops, just their desktops.

What model is it exactly, and how much RAM do you have now? Are you going to be running applications that require more RAM?

Sell it to an idiot and say it's the best laptop in the gaming world right now, then go build a desktop.

That kinda defeats the purpose and is hypocritical in the implication you're making of your stance in letting people know they can get more for their money.

i have a desktop, just wanting a laptop so i can play games and what not when im out of the house.

Nothing wrong with their laptops, just their desktops.

What model is it exactly, and how much RAM do you have now? Are you going to be running applications that require more RAM?

That kinda defeats the purpose and is hypocritical in the implication you're making of your stance in letting people know they can get more for their money.

its a m17x R4 2 years old and was only thinking of upgrading the RAM for better performance

i have a desktop, just wanting a laptop so i can play games and what not when im out of the house.

Oh, well then i don't know.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

its a m17x R4 2 years old and was only thinking of upgrading the RAM for better performance

I'm assuming you either have 6GB or 8GB (I asked but you forgot to answer  :P ). If you have 6GB, it may be beneficial to upgrade to 8GB. If you already have 8GB, you won't see any increase in performance by upgrading RAM if all you're doing is gaming.

I'm assuming you either have 6GB or 8GB (I asked but you forgot to answer  :P ). If you have 6GB, it may be beneficial to upgrade to 8GB. If you already have 8GB, you won't see any increase in performance by upgrading RAM if all you're doing is gaming.

yer 8GB lol mainly going to upgrade it for future proofing really if i do decide to keep it or even upgrade it so it seems better to sell it off to someone

yer 8GB lol mainly going to upgrade it for future proofing really if i do decide to keep it or even upgrade it so it seems better to sell it off to someone

Yeah that model is fairly old. I had an M14X R2 but it started getting slow to me, plus I ended up being able to get a desktop and got spoiled by 1080p and 60fps on an IPS panel, haha.

If you're wanting to sell it, sell it ASAP before it gets too old.

Yeah that model is fairly old. I had an M14X R2 but it started getting slow to me, plus I ended up being able to get a desktop and got spoiled by 1080p and 60fps on an IPS panel, haha.

If you're wanting to sell it, sell it ASAP before it gets too old.

Might put a WD black2 drive in it then just sell it or if there's room put a SSS in it then copy the OS onto it

But it does a HDMI input port on it which is rare soo....