Newb help!

Peebels

Hey All,

Wondering if anyone can offer up some advice regarding a new build I have in the (very early) planning stage.  I am fairly new to this (build a few PCs a good number of years ago) so you will need to speak slowly and using small words :P

The intent is for a reasonable gaming pc that is low noise and so far I have something looking like this…

NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case

Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 Mobo

Intel Core i7 4.00G

Corsair Vengeance Pro, 1866

750w Corsair RM Series 80

Corsair Hydro H110

250GB Samsung 840 SSD

1TB Seagate Barracuda, SATA III HDD

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770, Windforce 4gig

Anyone got any suggestions for improvements or tweaks (or outright changes!!!)

I have one specific question in relations to fans and fan controlling.  I now the case comes with connectors for multiple fans and I planned to swap out some of them for more silent versions.  Is there a way to control the speeds of these so they are not on full speed all the time?  I notice the Mobo has some cooling functionality; can the case fans be plugged into that?

Cheers in advance and go easy :P

get an i5 4690k or 4670k and use the extra cash for an even better GPU like an R9 290 or GTX 780 depending on prices where you live. How much memory are you planning on using?

I should be studying.

The ASUS Z97 boards have fan control for all your fans using Fan Xpert 3, you can use the motherboard headers for fan control if you want, you will also likely find the headers in your case offer some kind of control even if it's only 2 speeds.

For tweaks I'd suggest dropping the CPU down to an i5 like the 4690K and using the saved cash to step up the GPU to an R9 290 or a GTX 780 if you can push the extra cash.

If the pc is for gaming primarily the i7 offers little to no benefits over an i5, it is the same chip minus hyperthreading.

Also welcome to the forum!

Cheers Prodigydeadeye & Askew for the comments about the i5/i7, I had wondered this myself and was a little unsure about putting in the i7, Ill drop that out and do like you suggested and step up the graphics a little.  

I was going for 16gigs (2x8 leaving room for upgrade in the future) of RAM, that sound ok?

With regard to the case, I noted a complain about the case on this video was that it did not allow any setting adjustments, but if they can go into the mobo I guess I don't need to worry about that :)

Cheers