slow boot SSD

Khanster

I got a samsung 840 evo 250GB and went i boot from the time i push the button to power on my it takes close to 40 seconds to boot all the way into windows. I thought ssd are suppose to be much quicker than this and this was a fresh install when i built the computer a few months ago. Here are the computer specs

Motherboard: asus maximus VI Hero

CPU: i7 4770k

GPU: gtx 760 2gb

ram: g skill 16gb ddr3 1600

I do believe its in ahci mode but if someone can help me out figuring out why its taking so long to boot to windows that would be greatly appreciated.

I think there are no problems. Your SSD is not defective. Do you have a lot of programs and games on your SSD? 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

I think there are no problems. Your SSD is not defective. Do you have a lot of programs and games on your SSD? 

40 seconds boot time? My evo boots in 7 seconds. Definitely an issue here.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

keep in mind ssds don't affect the speed of the motherboard turn on cycle in any way, so a good 30 secs of that may be due to the mobo.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

40 seconds boot time? My evo boots in 7 seconds. Definitely an issue here.

My pc starts up in 30 sec but my ssd is almost full. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

keep in mind ssds don't affect the speed of the motherboard turn on cycle in any way, so a good 30 secs of that may be due to the mobo.

Fast boot is disabled in my BIOS. Is that the problem then?

My pc starts up in 30 sec but my ssd is almost full. 

BTW i dont really care about 30 SEC. It is still faster then my iphone 5 and my laptop boot. 

Fast boot is disabled in my BIOS. Is that the problem then?

Depends. How much does it take from when you see the windows logo for the first time to full login?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Depends. How much does it take from when you see the windows logo for the first time to full login?

Dont know i will count brb. 

20 sec

Make sure drivers are installed and that the drive is not set too IDE mode in the BIOS. And or just reinstall windows

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

20 sec

the ssd might simply be too full. did you benchmark it a lot? that kind of thing degrades performance.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

no games or anything major on the ssd all other major stuff is on my 2tb WD black drive for storage

the ssd might simply be too full. did you benchmark it a lot? that kind of thing degrades performance.

No never benchmarkt my SSD. But i have a lot of programs. moar then 4 games (titanfall, bf3 and bf4 and farcry 3 and a lot of other programs. 

no games or anything major on the ssd all other major stuff is on my 2tb WD black drive for storage

Thats a problem. 

But i dont really care its just 30 sec boot. And my system runs smooth. Never had any problems. 

But i dont really care its just 30 sec boot. And my system runs smooth. Never had any problems.

still it's a good idea to move one of those games to anoter drive.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

still it's a good idea to move one of those games to anoter drive.

You think so? I allready planning to delete Farcry from my SSD and install it on my WD black 1 tb. With titanfall also same. BF4 will stay on SSD fast maps loading. 

Yoiu sould turn on fast boot in bios or windows. I have that and im using a hdd (400 gb am I using in 1 tb hdd) and im booting in to windows password from 6-10 sec. Also I dont know if asus have a program on their website that makes the booting faster. you should look that up :)

You think so? I allready planning to delete Farcry from my SSD and install it on my WD black 1 tb. With titanfall also same. BF4 will stay on SSD fast maps loading.

Yeah definitely do that, it should help a lot and improve general performance.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My 840pro had 20gb of free space and I get 15 second boot times. I think your SATA is not in AHCI mode but in IDE mode. Switch it to AHCI and make sure fast boot is on. 

I just checked and it is set in AHCI mode. I honestly not sure what it could be

Your SSD is connected to the Intel Sata port?

Get your m/bd manual out and look up your SATA ports. The SSD should be plugged into SATA disc 0. Yes, 0. Unplug the WD and reboot your machine and see if makes a difference. Also go into your UEFI and look at boot sequence, make sure the SSD is first and see if fast boot is enabled. 

I haven't checked the actual time it takes to boot my machine (I don't care! It's fast!) but I can't get the fireflies to merge before I'm at the desktop and ready to go with a MX100 256 gb drive. Your EVO should be faster.

BTW, you did go to the ASUS site and update your m/bd drivers when you did the first install, didn't you?

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

ok so i checked to see if its in the intel sata port changed it into that and than changed boot order so the ssd is first still have same boot time. im seriously not sure what it is