Cleaning computer; Just curious.

So, every month or so, I buy a can or two of compressed air, some Q-tips, and clean my computer.

When I first built it, I was in a rush; I had to have a video editing project done ASAP, otherwise no rent, laptop had melted internally. I built my computer in just under half an hour and have left it as-is since.

As you can imagine, the cable management is HORRID behind the side-panel, and I did minimal cleaning up of wires in the main compartment with all the pieces in it about a month after the build.

I've built multiple computers before, I'm decent (in my opinion) at cable management and making things look snazzy, and it's irritated me recently looking over through the side-window and having free time on my hands.

So, I probably will regardless, but I may as well ask; Should I re-build my computer to make it look as nice as possible and improve airflow for the recent 100f/38c temperatures where I live? Is it something you would do?

And, any tips on cable management? (I have a bag of zip-ties and twist-ties, as well as rubber bands) How about general cleaning of dust and such? I've done this all before, would just like to hear from others.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

edit: Added another poll question. Should I also log the tear-down and rebuild? I have the S4 (Canon T3i at the girly's place), and can take decent pictures with that following the whole process.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

I do a tear down and clean every six months and I re do cable management if needed.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I'm not sure rebuilding your whole machine is justified. It depends how well mnaged it is now and how much better you could possibly make it. You don't need to do it for cleaning purposes anyway, a compressor will do its job well either way.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm not sure rebuilding your whole machine is justified. It depends how well mnaged it is now and how much better you could possibly make it. You don't need to do it for cleaning purposes anyway, a compressor will do its job well either way.

Which is why this thread is here :) I wanted to know the opinion on if slightly better airflow, and a slightly better aesthetic appeal is worth it for the hassle of taking an hour or more for an in-depth teardown and rebuild, cleaning individual pieces.

Which is why this thread is here :) I wanted to know the opinion on if slightly better airflow, and a slightly better aesthetic appeal is worth it for the hassle of taking an hour or more for an in-depth teardown and rebuild, cleaning individual pieces.

Oh well, that's up to you I'm afraid. I know I wouldn't do it, I'm too lazy for that and my case doesn't even have a window. I don't care much about aesthetics either, only functionality. The better airflow would be worth it if it can get significantly better, for "slightly" I think it doesn't make that big a difference. To clean it there's no need to tear it down, you won't get meaningfully better results.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*