need fedora linux help

im using fedora linux since its the first linux i could get to function on my  core2 macbook backin the day. does any one know how to get an asus 7870 directcu and a soundblaster z to funcion in linux. the soundblaster shows up but has no sound. i have to keep the onboard audio to get sound and even then its not 5.1. and the alsa web page is no help.

as far as the video card i installed the amd pepriatary drivers and get some kind of open cl(i think it was the error) error when i try to run a steam game. also i still also seem to have a poor refresh rate and get errors trying to do a dual non mirrored display setup.

p.s even  though i used linux for a while i rarely booted into it. but now that windows is getting unusable and buggy as hell on my kids sony vio laptop(pre installed. my wife got it against my strict advice/instructions. wouldnt accept 6 gb was more than enough for 7 yr old. had to have the 8gb which other than windows 7 on the 6gb model was the 0NLY difference) im trying to move toward linux. i tried react os and its no where near usable yet

I personally suggest Linux Mint with cinnamon as my preferred distro, It is based on Ubuntu (which I hate), so most guides for Ubuntu works on there, and it is a lot more friendly. I am aware than sound blaster on my brothers alienware acts very weird, and the driver service MUST be running for any audio to come out. It also does not support dual 3.5 audio jacks for a gaming headset. And is your GPU AMD or Intel based? Intel has better, somewhat opensource drivers with Linux, while AMD has terrible Linux support.

AMD has terrible Linux support.

I have made the experience that AMD works a lot better than Intel or Nvidia, which is by far the worst.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I have made the experience that AMD works a lot better than Intel or Nvidia, which is by far the worst.

Might just be what I heard then, one of my teachers did say they are getting better, so Scia may have a point.

Might just be what I heard then, one of my teachers did say they are getting better, so Scia may have a point.

I am running a 3870 in my Ubuntu media PC. Neither the Nvidia cards [680 tried for funsies as I was building my PC] / GT 520 do actually work very well are are able to scale the picture correctly on my 720p TV [Or my brothers 7-Series Samsung TV] while with the CCC is just change the overscaling to 0 and everything is perfect.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

In Fedora, make sure you have pavucontrol installed (you didn't say what DE you're using in Fedora, nor if you're on fedora 18 or 17). Then you can just select the Soundblaster card from the sound icon and it will just work. It doesn't need any drivers, it's supported by the kernel as with most hardware in linux.

The AMD proprietary drivers: the fastest way is to install "Fedora Utils", which is a third party utility that makes it very easy to perform certain tasks or install particular software in Fedora (like Steam, proprietary graphics drivers, Skype, etc). It's one-click install all the way, and it just works, it will autoconfigure.

Things with AMD drivers is that they are not really high quality, because AMD doesn't give a shit about linux on consumer platforms and they don't really have any linux-developers on their payroll. But the drivers still kinda work well, except that they don't support anything under HD4000 series and do not really support HD7000 series completely either, but I'm not having any problems with a 7870 and the proprietary Catalyst 13.4 driver in Fedora 18, nor in Arch Linux. Sometimes, you have to uninstall the xorg-ati packages first before installing the catalyst packages, but fedora utils will take care of that for you.

fedora 18 with kde plasma

for some odd reason Mint has better GPU driver support than Ubuntu.

fedora utils was a bust didnt help keeps saying not installed for most of the stuff it installs for me and pulse audio doesnt make a difference either