[US] Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 - $320

Faceman

Gigabyte R9 290 + 3 Free Games - $320 after $20 Mail-in-rebate.

The reviews... are not good.  This is the original I think and not the revision.  The card does run hot, and there seem to be a lot of issues with it, kind of hit or miss. If you get a working R9 290 for just $320, you committed robbery.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Gigabyte R9 290 + 3 Free Games - $320 after $20 Mail-in-rebate.

The reviews... are not good.  This is the original I think and not the revision.  The card does run hot, and there seem to be a lot of issues with it, kind of hit or miss. If you get a working R9 290 for just $320, you committed robbery.

I got one for 340, wasn't from gigabyte though. Asus.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I got one for 340, wasn't from gigabyte though. Asus.

Unfortunately the Asus R9 290s are not the best, even though they carry the prestigious Asus brand name.  Asus uses the exact same cooler from the GTX 780 and puts it onto the R9 290, and the heatpipes don't properly cover the die, resulting in higher than normal temperatures, which isn't great considering AMD cards already run hot.  It is still a great card, and for $340 is a steal, but there is a major design flaw with that specific card, and it has caused some(not all) people problems.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-r9-290-direct-cu-ii-oc-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1478724/is-there-anything-bad-about-the-directcu-ii-r9-290-nevermind-i-just-ordered-one <-- Scroll down to the VRM temperatures(Post #7 of 35) -- SCARY!

As with the Gigabyte model(Revision 1), there seems to be some risk that your card might run very hot, which is probably why these cards are so cheap.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Unfortunately the Asus R9 290s are not the best, even though they carry the prestigious Asus brand name.  Asus uses the exact same cooler from the GTX 780 and puts it onto the R9 290, and the heatpipes don't properly cover the die, resulting in higher than normal temperatures, which isn't great considering AMD cards already run hot.  It is still a great card, and for $340 is a steal, but there is a major design flaw with that specific card, and it has caused some(not all) people problems.

I never had problems with it :D and that thing with the heatpipes not touching the die, turns out the 780 version has the same ""issue"", in fact the 290 touches more of the pipes because it has a larger die. Also I think the heatpipes don't necessarily need to touch the die, they still do their job by dissipating heat from the base of the other heatpipes. That post on vrm temperatures seems to say that actually the cooler performs as expected, it says 84c peak under furmark and 78c with gaming (I get 73 peak with far cry 3 btw) and I'm not sure what's up with that 119C, they seem to contradict themselves. To be honest I'm happy with it and I had none of the problems some people are complaining about (in fact i haven't found that many people complaining for the 290 that actually own it, it's more coming from the 280x owners).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

that is a good deal.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

So the DCU2 from asus isn't actually making direct contact ?

Case: NZXT H440, Motherboard: Z97 ROG Ranger, CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1600MHZ CL9, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, PSU: Cooler Master V650, Cooling: Swiftech H320, Monitors: 3 x Benq VZ2350

So the DCU2 from asus isn't actually making direct contact ?

Looks like it ain't a DirectCU II.  ;)

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD