Help making android suck less at group messaging

t1mbuk2

So I have a group message going with a few friends but I am the only one in the group with and android (Moto X, using textra as my SMS app with Verizon). To them everything works great because they have imessage but unfortunately android doesn't which leaves me with some problems. The biggest problem is that I will get their messages in groups of about 20 which come many minutes after they are sent. Not to mention that when they do come they are all out of order.  The other problem is that it takes forever for my phone to send the messages.  I have great signal but it still takes way longer than a text to a single person.  The possible solutions I have found so far are to A) use some other messaging service like whatsapp which is a no-go because they have no problems on their end and it would be annoying for them, and B ) to get an iPhone.  While B ) would be a perfect solution there is the problem of my 2 year contract and that I really prefer android to iPhone when disregarding the problems I have with SMS.  Anyone else have these problems and/or find a way to fix them?

PLEASE READ THE LAST POST! I was able to fix all of my problems by getting a replacement phone through verizon support.

Personally I have no issue with cross-platform group messaging with the built-in hangouts app, but I also use GroupMe.  It's nice because only one person in the group needs the app, adds everyone else by number, and each of them gets the group message showing up in their SMS as a single number.  Each time a group member texts the GroupMe group, it goes to their servers then gets distributed to the group conversation.  It's free and pretty darn useful, doesn't require a data connection to use either.

It kind of does but I never owned an iPhone in the first place.  I am just about certain it has to do with imessage going through their servers though. Android needs something similar but that will likely never happen and we can forget about apple helping out. 

Personally I have no issue with cross-platform group messaging with the built-in hangouts app, but I also use GroupMe.  It's nice because only one person in the group needs the app, adds everyone else by number, and each of them gets the group message showing up in their SMS as a single number.  Each time a group member texts the GroupMe group, it goes to their servers then gets distributed to the group conversation.  It's free and pretty darn useful, doesn't require a data connection to use either.

I'll give it a shot. The reviews seem promising. Thanks

Android has something similar, it's called Hangouts. On Android it'll handle text messages and send data-based messages to those with the app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.talk

There's an iOS version if you can convince your friends to use it. https://itunes.apple.com/app/hangouts/id643496868?mt=8

• 3 weeks later...

Figured I should follow this up since my problem is now fixed.  I contacted verizon support and they determined that my phone had connection to 4g data but not actual cellular. They sent me a new phone and all the problems have been fixed (I have been using the replacement for about 2 weeks now). Luckily I was within the factory warranty so this didn't cost me anything.  I would recommend that anyone that also has this problem to contact verizon support immediately especially if the phone is relatively new.  The support was very nice however I did have to repeat a few things such as turning it off and on and removing the sim card a few times.  All together an 8/10 experience with their customer support.  I hope this helps anyone else that is having this problem.