Not connected to internet?

likkanchung

Randomly, and recently, my internet has been a bit weird. Sometimes when I turn my PC on, all of it works fine. But, sometimes (like now, so I'm on my phone) I can load Steam friends only and join servers on games, Skype and ventrilo. But chrome and the steam community, etc. in the steam browser doesn't work.

Do you know why this is happening? What can I do to fix this?? Thanks for any help

In the photo (not screenshot, because internet weird)

Steam client: "you may not be connected to the internet"

Ventrilo: connected to server, can talk to people

Steam friends: can see who is online, etc.

Chrome: "webpage not available"

Taskbar: shows connected to internet symbol(Ethernet cable)

post-41393-0-19378400-1402853431_thumb.j

port blocked, maybe?

But why does that mean I can use it sometimes, but then it Doesn't work other times?? And which port to you mean(of what)?

But why does that mean I can use it sometimes, but then it Doesn't work other times?? And which port to you mean(of what)?

I have no idea dude, but some programs use different ports than others. The port for normal http usage is port 80, while steam uses a different port for ther services.

These are the steam ports

Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)

UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)

TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)

UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers

TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

UDP 3478 (Outbound)

UDP 4379 (Outbound)

UDP 4380 (Outbound)

Isp might be having troubles, best way to check this is via another computer on the same network. If the issue is the same on all PCs this means it's well... not your pc ethernet port acting up.

Could be hardware, like a switch or a router that is going bad, or someone messed with your router and blocked port 80 (or internet in general) on a timer. (20:00-22:00 ect.)

I have no idea dude, but some programs use different ports than others. The port for normal http usage is port 80, while steam uses a different port for ther services.

These are the steam ports

Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)

UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)

TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)

UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers

TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

UDP 3478 (Outbound)

UDP 4379 (Outbound)

UDP 4380 (Outbound)

Isp might be having troubles, best way to check this is via another computer on the same network. If the issue is the same on all PCs this means it's well... not your pc ethernet port acting up.

Could be hardware, like a switch or a router that is going bad, or someone messed with your router and blocked port 80 (or internet in general) on a timer. (20:00-22:00 ect.)

Idk, he can't get websites to load, but when I asked him, he was on Skype with his friend and playing on a server. I think he has a program or something, so when it doesn't load it says "[browserSafeguard] DNS lookup for BrowserSafeguard.com lookup failed" or something like that. It's like that on his Steam as well as his Chrome. Hmm...

post-41393-0-44518600-1402858712_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Update: it seems like the only thing I can't load when this happens is webpages. The problem still only happens randomly, so that means that it probably isn't client side. Any thing to help, thanks