Old laptop as dedicated server OS advice

Hey everyone! so to cut out the whole story, essentially what I have is a celeron laptop, with half a gig of ram. would it be possible to run a minecraft, tekkit lite, server on it? 

as it only has half a gig of ram, I was thinking some super lightweight OS. If this is not possible, what would be recommended to get a normal mine craft server running? 

this is more out of curiosity, because i have much more powerful PCs, this would just allow me to run it 24/7

yep my old laptop is currently hosting a minecraft server

laptop specs

CPU: Intel Celeron T3300 (dual core at 2GHz)

RAM: 4GB DDRII 666MHz (2x2GB)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8200M G

HDD: 250GB WD Caviare blue

in regards to lightweight os try puppylinux only need 32MB of ram and a 300MHz CPU

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

in regards to lightweight os try puppylinux only need 32MB of ram and a 300MHz CPU

Will  try. thank you both, I guess just time to see if i have any laptop ram laying around

Well, Debian has a pretty minor RAM footprint. But with 512MB you won't get to far with Tekkit. You might be able to run a normal Minecraft Server for 2-6 players. I wouldn't recommend puppy Linux for A Server. Debian is just more optimized for Servers.

What Max said. If you can, I recommend putting some more ram in, and possibly taking the harddrive out and running off a USB stick. My experience with laptops as servers is that the hard drives don't like it very much. The write cycles will ruin the usb stick after a while, but I reckon the ontime will kill an HDD sooner.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I don't have any experience with it, but why not try a distro specifically made to run a minecraft server such as MineOS?