my NAS build finally taking the first step!

yurihellsing
Go to solution Solved by Madmanchris1,

Snip

With de-duplication you can enable it when you create your dataset or zvol (its on one of them). I think you can enable it after you've made your zvol/dataset and got all your files sorted just don't hold me to that as i haven't used it yet.

If you go with the avaton board (its a good choice) you would be best off going with ECC ram an 8GB stick costs £60 on Amazon. check out the supermicro boards as well i hear really good things about them as well as the benefit of supporting a xeon processor. 

If you go with freenas and ZFS 8GB is the minimum amount of ram that they recommend using. general rule of thumb is 6GB base + 1GB for every 1TB of storage. 

with freenas you will need ZFS for plugins such as plex and transmission so its worth spending the extra £ for ZFS.

With Raid i am only using 1x 3TB HDD at the moment so im not well versed on this. But i believe zfs uses raidz (similar to raid 5 i think) you will need a minimum of 3 HDD's to achieve this.  im not sure on this so check out the freenas forums they will probably correct me on a few things. linus has raid videos too. (when you make your ZFS it will auto select the best option in raid for your system)

Converting NFTS/Fat32 to a ZFS i highly doubt this is achievable. you would most likely have to format the drives before converting. once again check out the freenas forums on this. there is a really helpful Noob section. 

Ok was thinking about doing a new build but I kind of want to have a NAS too so why not just build the NAS first then it’ll be easier to think of the new build as it won’t have as many HDDs in it.

Budget = at the moment unknown but I know it won’t be as cheap as I’d like it to be

Main uses = media storage and delivering to devices both on my network and outside (phone/tablet)

Features I want

• Running ZFS or any file system that can reduce the amount of space taken up by duplicates
  • Expandability
  • Low power consumption or as low as I can get it

Also what sort of RAID cofig would I need to be using so that if one HDD were to go bad or die I can just swap it out the data is repopulated and the system is working as if nothing went wrong

Thanks for all and any input!!!

anything else need adding?

anyone?

also what chipset should i aim for or does that not matter as much?

Hey, 

well a budget would be a great help how much were you thinking or spending? 

What Os did you want to run? freenas, amahi, windows sever (freenas is the only one that i know of that supports ZFS but im sure there are others).

DeDulplication requires a lot of Ram. if you watch Tek sysndicates video on freenas that might help. they have a lot of nas stuff.

Take a look at my freenas build (currently on hold due to moving house) HERE

If you have an old pc lying around id test freenas out on that. That's what i did, it will give you an insight of what it has to offer. 

If you read the same things as others and say the same things they say, then you're perceived as intelligent.

I'm a bit more radical... Woz

Yeah after looking at your NAS build I think I’ll be going with the avaton too and I’ve seen the video both on the build and FreeNAS by the Tek syndicate and I liked what I saw so I will be going with that. On the topic of file systems that use deduplication  is that something that it just does on its own or is it something I can enable once I have enough RAM?

Also depending on the answer to the last question I may not be using ZFS to begin with since I won’t have the RAM to use it to its fullest so if I have to use something other than ZFS can I convert to it without losing data like you can convert from FAT32 to NTFS without having to format to it?

A question on RAID which ones will I have to look into for the ability to just swap out HDDs that are either failing or flat out dead with a new one and the whole system just acts as if nothing happened?

And as for budget at this moment I’m still not sure the core of the system I know I can afford but the HDDs  my main plan is to start small maybe 2 or 3 2TB HDDs then over time expand and replace with bigger HDDs so is there anything else I need to take into consideration?

Snip

With de-duplication you can enable it when you create your dataset or zvol (its on one of them). I think you can enable it after you've made your zvol/dataset and got all your files sorted just don't hold me to that as i haven't used it yet.

If you go with the avaton board (its a good choice) you would be best off going with ECC ram an 8GB stick costs £60 on Amazon. check out the supermicro boards as well i hear really good things about them as well as the benefit of supporting a xeon processor. 

If you go with freenas and ZFS 8GB is the minimum amount of ram that they recommend using. general rule of thumb is 6GB base + 1GB for every 1TB of storage. 

with freenas you will need ZFS for plugins such as plex and transmission so its worth spending the extra £ for ZFS.

With Raid i am only using 1x 3TB HDD at the moment so im not well versed on this. But i believe zfs uses raidz (similar to raid 5 i think) you will need a minimum of 3 HDD's to achieve this.  im not sure on this so check out the freenas forums they will probably correct me on a few things. linus has raid videos too. (when you make your ZFS it will auto select the best option in raid for your system)

Converting NFTS/Fat32 to a ZFS i highly doubt this is achievable. you would most likely have to format the drives before converting. once again check out the freenas forums on this. there is a really helpful Noob section. 

If you read the same things as others and say the same things they say, then you're perceived as intelligent.

Cool let me know how it goes, and pm me or post on my build if you have anymore questions.

Have fun with your build!