Corsair AX1200i 24 pin cable issue

xentric

I just bought a whole new computer and yesterday after the build it was working fine. I installed windows and everything was working so I turned it all off to do cable management so I could close the back of the case. So when I went to turn it on it started up for 1 sec then shut off. I used the self test of the AX1200i and the light didn't turn on. With some trial and error when the only think that doesn't work is the 24 pin connector. So everything disconnected I only plug in the 24 pin connector, not connected to the motherboard it doesn't pass. The 24 pin connector has 2 plugs into the PSU and if a plug in only 1 (either plug) it passes. I hope someone can help me!

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Um, could you check if any of the pins are bent on the 24pin? tell me what happens and ill try help some more.

Sounds like you've bent a pin or loosened something. check each line with a cable tester if you can and see where the issue is - you should see a constant resistance (Ohms) in each one and one that changes...

thx for the help. Ya all the pins seem fine and my volt meter said all the wires were good. I just wonder because the self test works if only one of the two, 24 pin cables is in the PSU but not both.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Sounds to me like a couple of cables (one from one and one from the other connector to the psu) have been damaged and are shorting out on each other. You could try gently moving all the cables around inside the braiding and try to do the self test. If you get it to pass then, you would still have to change that cable, as it otherwise can become a fire hazard.

I will call Corsair and get a RMA. Could it have shorted the motherboard during this? I have a Maxiums V Formula Z77 and when the PSU was having its issue all the red (ROG) lights were still working. But when you hit the start button nothing happened. I would hate to get a new PSU to find out it took the board with it.

Yes stock cables. I just got the PSU on Friday it only ran for 2 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure that no cables are pinched on the case. If so protection may have been tripped. Contact Corsair for further trouble shooting. You said that the 24 pin stopped working. PSU may have blown fuse?

I figured it out, thanks for all the help. I was on the phone with tech support he said that cable would fail the self test every time when its plugged in. So I went about rewiring the whole thing again and I started up fine so its been working with no issues. I have no idea what I was doing wrong before. I check my wiring but maybe I didn't seat something right.