Hackintosh Capable?

Hey, just wondering a couple of things.

1) Would this system be compatible (or soon in the future) to become a Hackintosh? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/cgWVD3

2) I was thinking that because it would be quite cool, that I would have one SSD with windows on, and another with OS X Mavericks on. Would this be ok. Also, would I run into any compatibility issues if I were to have the two SSD's with the OS's on them, and a single HDD with all my files and everything on it?

The SSDs would be fine, but I would partition the HDD into two parts -- one for Windows and one for OS X.

As for compatibility, I was checking it out and I haven't seen anything yet on tonymacx86, but since it is a Gigabyte motherboard, there is a good chance that it will be fine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

@Smithy2402

Well, here are the things that I'd change to maximise compatibility:

• DDR3-1600 memory
  • GTX 770 is more compatible

And on the point about the OSX installation, I have the exact same configuration (except Windows 7 is on a HDD and OSX is on an SSD; steps have no difference). These are the steps:

1. Install Windows on SSD No. 1
  2. Install OSX and Chimera bootloader on SSD No. 2, whilst SSD No. 1 is unplugged.
  3. Plug SSD No. 2 into the SATA port 0 on your motherboard, and the Windows one in a different one, doesn't matter which one.
  4. Format your storage Hard Drive as NTFS, no problems should occur.
  5. BOOM

Now, that is a Hackintosh.

However, before buying the motherboard, make sure you know the following things:

• Audio Codec - e.g: mine is Via 2021 or something
  • Ethernet - Mine is an Atheros Gigabit NIC
  • If there is any funny business with it by a session of googling

Motherboard specs are here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4950#sp

Furthermore, I'd get a Z87 board as new = bugs with hackintosh

Edited by tomlambert01

Compatible with Windows 95

The SSDs would be fine, but I would partition the HDD into two parts -- one for Windows and one for OS X.

As for compatibility, I was checking it out and I haven't seen anything yet on tonymacx86, but since it is a Gigabyte motherboard, there is a good chance that it will be fine.

Thanks for your feedback, it was very helpful. I never thought about partitioning the HDD into 2! Thanks for that tip.

@Smithy2402

Well, here are the things that I'd change to maximise compatibility:

• DDR3-1600 memory
  • GTX 770 is more compatible

And on the point about the OSX installation, I have the exact same configuration (except Windows 7 is on a HDD and OSX is on an SSD; steps have no difference). These are the steps:

1. Install Windows on SSD No. 1
  2. Install OSX and Chimera bootloader on SSD No. 2, whilst SSD No. 1 is unplugged.
  3. Plug SSD No. 2 into the SATA port 0 on your motherboard, and the Windows one in a different one, doesn't matter which one.
  4. Format your storage Hard Drive as NTFS, no problems should occur.
  5. BOOM

Now, that is a Hackintosh.

However, before buying the motherboard, make sure you know the following things:

• Audio Codec - e.g: mine is Via 2021 or something
  • Ethernet - Mine is an Atheros Gigabit NIC
  • If there is any funny business with it by a session of googling

Motherboard specs are here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4950#sp

Furthermore, I'd get a Z87 board as new = bugs with hackintosh

Thanks for letting me know the steps to install OS X. I will consider going Z87 but I will be doing this build in quite a while, so I will see what compatibility is like then, regarding bugs and stuff. Thanks a lot though!