MSI MPG 341CQPX adaptive sync issue

BuzzingBee

UPDATE: As per store policy I've given my monitor to their store and they'll send over to MSI for warranty. I'm really hoping they will pick up this issue as I admit it's a bit difficult to notice unless someone has a good eye. If this issue can be fixed via firmware in the future, then I'm heavily disappointed that we're now in an era that PC hardware can be shipped broken and later rely on feedback to fix later via firmware, just like games. Or more simply it may be a bad luck that I received a faulty monitor.

A couple months back I was considering upgrading my monitor, then fast forward to few days ago, yep I pulled the trigger on MSI MPG 341CQPX, 3440x1440 240Hz QD-OLED.

I was going to make a post of my thoughts on it one day, but instead I came across a deal-breaking issue in which adaptive sync isn't properly working and getting juddering. There goes my first impressions.

It does eliminate screen-tearing when comparing adaptive sync off/on, but I believe the monitor's refresh rate is not matching in game's FPS and instead fixed at 240Hz, so it creates juddering. I've tested with my other monitors and TV aswell with my main PC with AMD GPU and my laptop with Nvidia GPU, so surly it comes down to that monitor.

It's hard to spot at first, but I knew something is off when the motion isn't perfectly smooth. Which brings to today which I decided to investigate and found out by going to RivaTuner and enable frame color indicator to 2 bars to examine sync behaviour (solid-ish white colour = no tear/stutter, tear lines = screen tearing, rapid flashing = stuttering, left & right bar flashing differently = juddering). Another way to test juddering is I capped FPS around 90% of refresh rate (e.g. 216 FPS for 240Hz), revealing juddering at its worst. 

I'm honestly bummed about it because otherwise I liked everything else about it. But perhaps I'm missing something? Is there something else I haven't yet tried? 

EDIT: Replaced micro-stuttering with juddering

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

I'd say this is a defective unit, since this should be seen even with basic testing during product development for a gaming monitor.

I assume you made sure FreeSync is set up properly?

I only ever used Nvidia GPUs so Idk if there is a bunch of options you need to tweak. With G-Sync there are several GPU driver settings you need to tweak to make sure G-Sync runs properly.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

42 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I assume you made sure FreeSync is set up properly?

I only ever used Nvidia GPUs so Idk if there is a bunch of options you need to tweak. With G-Sync there are several GPU driver settings you need to tweak to make sure G-Sync runs properly.

For AMD it's more simple, for their settings I need to select connected display first then it has adaptive sync on/off toggle individually.

I made absolutely sure I set up FreeSync properly, as mentioned above I went back and tested a lot of my other displays: my old ultrawide, my side monitors and my TV were all working fine, and I also double checked with Rivatuner method showing two bars solid-ish white.

Anyway, it already got sent off so I probably need to wait at least three weeks until results come in. 

Please don't be ASUS

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820