possible upgrade issues

so currently im rocking a gigabyte b560m h motherboard, which seems to have pretty weak vrms

and i thought of getting 11600 or 11600k for just 100$ used, should i upgrade to better b560m motherboard for 40-100$ or i just buy cpu now and bother about it later?

i will wait

The VRM concerns typically only manifest with higher end K CPUs, or with non-K models only if you remove the power limits. The 11600 will drop down to just 65W after 56 seconds of an all-core load, which is pretty much guaranteed to be fine for any motherboard.

The 11600K, on the other hand, is a 125W part, and that is too much for some boards. Your current board likely can't handle that.

I wouldn't recommend getting a new board for this - at that price point, you should just jump ship to a better platform. A new Ryzen 5 5600 and AM4 board should be about the same price and would perform better while using less power.

11 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

The VRM concerns typically only manifest with higher end K CPUs, or with non-K models only if you remove the power limits. The 11600 will drop down to just 65W after 56 seconds of an all-core load, which is pretty much guaranteed to be fine for any motherboard.

thats the bad part that i want to get rid off by tuning power limits so it can boost to max freq all the time

11 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

I wouldn't recommend getting a new board for this - at that price point, you should just jump ship to a better platform. A new Ryzen 5 5600 and AM4 board should be about the same price and would perform better while using less power.

amd is no go choice for me

3 minutes ago, bal723 said:

thats the bad part that i want to get rid off by tuning power limits so it can boost to max freq all the time

amd is no go choice for me

If you can't go AMD, then it might make sense to go to LGA 1700.

The 12400(F) performance is about the same as the 11600K while using a lot less power. A B660 board isn't going to be quite as affordable as B450 or B550, but it at least puts you on a platform that has some amount of upgrade potential, rather than investing money into another B560 board where your best options are both beaten by a mid-range 12600K or 13400(F).

If you get a B660 or B760 board with solid VRMs, you can later upgrade to something like a 13700(K) and get a solid uplift over a 12400.

You could also consider getting some VRM heatsinks for your current board. If you want to push an 11600 to its limits, it'll draw around 150W, which is a big ask for a board with no VRM cooling. Although depending on the pricing, it might not make sense compared to a new board.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

If you can't go AMD, then it might make sense to go to LGA 1700.

The 12400(F) performance is about the same as the 11600K while using a lot less power. A B660 board isn't going to be quite as affordable as B450 or B550, but it at least puts you on a platform that has some amount of upgrade potential, rather than investing money into another B560 board where your best options are both beaten by a mid-range 12600K or 13400(F).

If you get a B660 or B760 board with solid VRMs, you can later upgrade to something like a 13700(K) and get a solid uplift over a 12400.

You could also consider getting some VRM heatsinks for your current board. If you want to push an 11600 to its limits, it'll draw around 150W, which is a big ask for a board with no VRM cooling. Although depending on the pricing, it might not make sense compared to a new board.

found some aorus b660 for 100$ and 12500 for 100$, i don't see point in getting 12400 as it has uhd 730 which doesn't work as good as uhd 770 in deep link performance, but its around 40$ more expensive than 11600k variant and plus I won't be upgrading this platform anyways and ill just straight to 17th generation when it releases, so I kinda don't see point in changing platform for nothing except a little faster igpu

18 minutes ago, bal723 said:

found some aorus b660 for 100$ and 12500 for 100$, i don't see point in getting 12400 as it has uhd 730 which doesn't work as good as uhd 770 in deep link performance, but its around 40$ more expensive than 11600k variant and plus I won't be upgrading this platform anyways and ill just straight to 17th generation when it releases, so I kinda don't see point in changing platform for nothing except a little faster igpu

also seems like i can save 70$ on upgrade by going with new b560m mobo for 60$ and 11500 for 70$, which should be enough for gpu i am planning to get for this system (b580 or b770)

56 minutes ago, bal723 said:

also seems like i can save 70$ on upgrade by going with new b560m mobo for 60$ and 11500 for 70$, which should be enough for gpu i am planning to get for this system (b580 or b770)

The 11500 is a bit easier to get going at full speed than the 11600K - its max power draw is closer to 130-135W, so you have a better chance of it being able to run without power limits.

You could always try the chip on your current board, then if you determine that you are unhappy with the performance, you can then invest in a new board.