what is going on with my GPU

Go to solution Solved by Agall,
Just now, Steiger2010 said:

I don't think there are any unknown devices in device manager. There is in other devices 2 pcie devices and a SM buss controller that windows says there is no drivers for. Also, how exactly do I clean install or uninstall the drivers exactly? Like uninstall the amd software or something else? Never done this so not sure what to do exactly.

I would see if you can find drivers for those unknown devices.

Its quite possible there's settings within Radeon's software that would fix the issue, but I think a clean install of the driver would be an easier catch-all. 

IIRC, uninstalling it from the Program List in Control Panel allows for a 'clean uninstall', then you'd perform any 'clean install' features from the installer you recently downloaded. I haven't daily driven a Radeon GPU since the 6900 XT, and my RX 6600 isn't nearby to trial that with. 

specs: i5 12600KF, asrock b660 pro rs, amd rx 6700xt, 16GB ddr4 silicon power ram, 2 crucial p3 SSDs. so long story short, new build, first build, I was playing with friends on a game called farming simulator 22, we all got off our multi player game to get 3 mods, got the mods got back into the game but the game was acting like it was being played on a potato, was using reshade, forgot to turn it off so it had to load the game while having the shaders on, uninstalled it, still bad, got rid of the mods, still bad, thought it was a virus( didn't have an anti-virus), got an anti-virus, scanned 3 times and found nothing, my friends kept the mods and it didn't do anything to their gaming laptops, didn't have game pass and had no other games installed so I tried roblox and Minecraft to see if they worked fine, roblox was also laggy, but Minecraft said that the driver wasn't compatible with OpenGL, then I tried the amd sofware and it said my graphics driver wasn't compatible with the amd software, which I downloaded because and's site says it compatible. Does anyone know what is going on? I think it's something with my GPU, but it could be something else, I'm just completely puzzled what to do.

6 minutes ago, Steiger2010 said:

rx 6700xt,  but Minecraft said that the driver wasn't compatible with OpenGL, then I tried the amd sofware and it said my GPU wasn't compatible with the amd software

Where'd you buy this RX 6700 XT? I'd pull up GPU-Z and upload a screenshot of the specs page from that software.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

16 minutes ago, Agall said:

Where'd you buy this RX 6700 XT? I'd pull up GPU-Z and upload a screenshot of the specs page from that software.

I got it from amazon, its a xfx.image.gif.cf84d2aef73bfae60df2e4b9bb990e21.gif

12 minutes ago, Steiger2010 said:

I got it from amazon, its a xfx.image.gif.cf84d2aef73bfae60df2e4b9bb990e21.gif

The Bus Interface should be x16 4.0 or x16 1.1 (while not actively playing a game), so its strange that its x8 4.0.

What slot is that GPU plugged into and where are other devices plugged into the motherboard? There's no reason I can see why your 6700 XT shouldn't be running at 16x. Likely related to anomalies with performance.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

23 minutes ago, Agall said:

The Bus Interface should be x16 4.0 or x16 1.1 (while not actively playing a game), so its strange that its x8 4.0.

What slot is that GPU plugged into and where are other devices plugged into the motherboard? There's no reason I can see why your 6700 XT shouldn't be running at 16x. Likely related to anomalies with performance.

the GPU is in the top reinforced x16, there is nothing else in a pcie slot, I forgot to say I did try re-seating the GPU, just looked at it and I don't think it's in all the way, so I'm going to make shure it is fully seated.

34 minutes ago, Agall said:

10 minutes ago, Steiger2010 said:

the GPU is in the top reinforced x16, there is nothing else in a pcie slot, I forgot to say I did try re-seating the GPU, just looked at it and I don't think it's in all the way, so I'm going to make shure it is fully seated.

it wasn't in all the way from me re seating it here is what gpu-z says now. games still play like crap. amd software says not compatible with installed graphics driver not GPU not compatible sorry

gpu spec thing 2.gif

13 minutes ago, Steiger2010 said:

it wasn't in all the way from me re seating it here is what gpu-z says now. games still play like crap. amd software says not compatible with installed graphics driver not GPU not compatible sorry

gpu spec thing 2.gif

Have you done a clean install and/or uninstall the existing dGPU drivers? DDU shouldn't be required, but just within Windows Program List and the driver inistaller?

Are there any 'unknown' devices in Device Manager?

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

11 minutes ago, Agall said:

Have you done a clean install and/or uninstall the existing dGPU drivers? DDU shouldn't be required, but just within Windows Program List and the driver inistaller?

Are there any 'unknown' devices in Device Manager?

I don't think there are any unknown devices in device manager. There is in other devices 2 pcie devices and a SM buss controller that windows says there is no drivers for. Also, how exactly do I clean install or uninstall the drivers exactly? Like uninstall the amd software or something else? Never done this so not sure what to do exactly.

Just now, Steiger2010 said:

Its quite possible there's settings within Radeon's software that would fix the issue, but I think a clean install of the driver would be an easier catch-all. 

IIRC, uninstalling it from the Program List in Control Panel allows for a 'clean uninstall', then you'd perform any 'clean install' features from the installer you recently downloaded. I haven't daily driven a Radeon GPU since the 6900 XT, and my RX 6600 isn't nearby to trial that with. 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

31 minutes ago, Agall said:

It was the drivers, I reinstalled them and now it works right! thank you for the help!