Need help picking some parts and a special for my second pc. Supposed to be "mid" range in price.

Go to solution Solved by BahnStormer,

The question is: is 25k Viking Rubles in the right ball park?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  (kr4399.00 @ Proshop) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (kr819.00 @ Proshop) 
Motherboard: ASRock B650 PG LIGHTNING ATX AM5 Motherboard  (kr2322.00 @ Proshop) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (kr1591.00 @ Proshop) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr1299.00 @ Proshop) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN580 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr1630.00 @ Proshop) 
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card  (kr10990.00 @ Proshop) 
Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case  (kr898.00 @ Proshop) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (kr1286.00 @ Proshop) 
Total: kr25234.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-07 18:11 CEST+0200

Cores are the same thing, a soccer team of 16(cores) that has eaten no food(L3 cache) will likely lose every time to a team of 8(cores) that is well fed(L3 cache)

15 hours ago, BentleyOwen123 said:

@yepnew,  think about L3 cache like food for a childrens soccer team, if you give them barely any, the wont run fast and wont play well, but if you feed them a feast the night before they will run faster and play better....

hmmm.... not my preferred analogy....

Maybe more like Nitrous: you can get really fantastic performance at lower "revs" (clock speeds) and it can give those bursts of extra pace repeatedly, which is ideal for games.

Or perhaps like having a big chunk of "Limitless" (movie) style of perfect recall photographic memory: yes you'll still get there in the end with ChatGPT/Google (regular RAM), but somebody who has been able to recall and analyse everything instantly is always going to be a few steps (frames) ahead.

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

4 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

hmmm.... not my preferred analogy....

Maybe more like Nitrous: you can get really fantastic performance at lower "revs" (clock speeds) and it can give those bursts of extra pace repeatedly, which is ideal for games.

Or perhaps like having a big chunk of "Limitless" (movie) style of perfect recall photographic memory: yes you'll still get there in the end with ChatGPT/Google (regular RAM), but somebody who has been able to recall and analyse everything instantly is always going to be a few steps (frames) ahead.

yea it was a shitty analogy just trying to make it easy to understand😂

On 5/7/2024 at 4:12 PM, BahnStormer said:

To answer your question, this would be a good pairing for the rest of your components:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler [280mm!] (kr819.00 @ Proshop) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  (kr1591.00 @ Proshop) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr1299.00 @ Proshop) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN580 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr1630.00 @ Proshop) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (kr1286.00 @ Proshop) 
Total: kr6625.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-07 16:07 CEST+0200

Reasoning:
Cooling: 140mm fans are much more efficient than 120mm, Arctic Freezer II is fantastic and the AFIII has been reviewed very favourably.

RAM: 6000MT/sec and CL30 is the performance sweet spot for 78000X3D (very little gain for higher MT/sec and it will be slower if you get higher CL!). G-Skill is a great brand and the FlareX5 are tested specifically for AMD builds.

PSU: Any reliable brand, ~750W. Seasonic is one of the best and this was reasonable value.

Storage: much more debatable....The two above are just a suggestion, but tailor it based on your personal taste/needs....A single 1Tb would probably be enough to start... or a single 2Tb to be safer.

I've suggested Western Digital SN770 or SN580 - either of those is good and there are a lot of other Samsung/Sabrent options that offer slightly better performance (at a price premium) or others like Kioxia/ADATA that are cheaper, but still good.

I would recommend a 1Tb(M.2)+2Tb(M.2) for OS+Games, for a gamer that likes a bit of variety and some spare space.... or in my case, I have 1Tb(M.2) + 1Tb(M.2) + 2x8Tb(SATA) as I don't play a huge variety of games*, but I like to record and keep quite a lot, hence the SATA as M.2 doesn't like to be repeatedly over-written and I don't want to risk filling my OS drive or game drive.

Q

*(Fortnite + DayZ + Rust + small retro games)

I think i will purchase this add on the other stuff you said in that other message minus one storage (i only really need one when i have 8tb hard drive) but im wondering if i should get a better case than the montech and a better cooling device, thoughts? I also dont really wanna change videocard from the one i picked unless theres a reason

On 5/7/2024 at 8:24 PM, BentleyOwen123 said:

Cores are the same thing, a soccer team of 16(cores) that has eaten no food(L3 cache) will likely lose every time to a team of 8(cores) that is well fed(L3 cache)

I think this was perfect, easily understandable. No clue what the bahn meant but this i understood, thank you bro😊

@BahnStormer I really like the look of the fractal north chalk white TG clear tint mid tower, would that work?

28 minutes ago, yepnew said:

@BahnStormer I really like the look of the fractal north chalk white TG clear tint mid tower, would that work?

Fractal north is a good case imo

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

On 5/15/2024 at 4:48 PM, TatamiMatt said:

Fractal north is a good case imo

Okay, thanks ill stick with what he recommended. He seems very knowledgable.

Edit: Wait did u edit that...?

I have now set the build togheter in pcpartpicker. Other than keeping my video card instead of going with the one Bahn recommended (i asked the nvidia subreddit and they said tuf was way better) and the motherboard i wanted, dropping to only one memory (sn770) and increasing the size to 2tb everything is as bahn put it togheter.

https://no.pcpartpicker.com/list/mPkFkJ

I would appriciate if anyone could tell me if increasing the size was stupid and if the tuf videocard will fit in the case and if i need to switch the cooling out for something better. Thanks so much for all the help i have recieved and ill stop bothering you guys now😅

5 hours ago, yepnew said:

I have now set the build togheter in pcpartpicker. Other than keeping my video card instead of going with the one Bahn recommended (i asked the nvidia subreddit and they said tuf was way better) and the motherboard i wanted, dropping to only one memory (sn770) and increasing the size to 2tb everything is as bahn put it togheter.

https://no.pcpartpicker.com/list/mPkFkJ

I would appriciate if anyone could tell me if increasing the size was stupid and if the tuf videocard will fit in the case and if i need to switch the cooling out for something better. Thanks so much for all the help i have recieved and ill stop bothering you guys now😅

Anyone?:) sorry for being such a bother

2 hours ago, yepnew said:

Anyone?:) sorry for being such a bother

No youre fine, GPU should fit no bother and the 2tb is perfectly fine

For cooling the LF3 is PLENTY you could even go for something less, im cooling my 7800X3D with an air cooler and its super cool at all times, ~50-55 degrees while gaming usually

System specs:

On 5/17/2024 at 8:45 AM, TatamiMatt said:

No youre fine, GPU should fit no bother and the 2tb is perfectly fine

For cooling the LF3 is PLENTY you could even go for something less, im cooling my 7800X3D with an air cooler and its super cool at all times, ~50-55 degrees while gaming usually

Thanks, one more thing. I cant find the specific component on versus so im wondering would you pick the Corsair Vengeance DDR5 RGB 32GB or the g.skill flare 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory if you think of part compatibility and synergy? I believe i heard the g.skill was very good with this specific motherboard but im not sure also on versus it shows the corsair dominating and its white with changeable rgb. Im curious if i should switch since its about 60 dollars more and i could get the mostly all white theme i have always wanted.

1 hour ago, yepnew said:

Thanks, one more thing. I cant find the specific component on versus so im wondering would you pick the Corsair Vengeance DDR5 RGB 32GB or the g.skill flare 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory if you think of part compatibility and synergy? I believe i heard the g.skill was very good with this specific motherboard but im not sure also on versus it shows the corsair dominating and its white with changeable rgb. Im curious if i should switch since its about 60 dollars more and i could get the mostly all white theme i have always wanted.

gskill also do their z5 trident neo range or neo rgb if you want the rgb in white

System specs:

47 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

gskill also do their z5 trident neo range or neo rgb if you want the rgb in white

But who would be best for the motherboard and cpu 😛

im am inept at anything hardware related, and i genuinly cant figure out if the ram the first bro said was best for my cpu and motherboard, the corsair one or the z5 trident.

I just ask cause you guys seem to be masters of knowledge

edit: i wont be overclocking so probably not the z5 trident

For current AM5 CPUs (7000-series), just try to get DDR5-6000 CL30, after that you're paying for the brand with some minor improvements in reliability/ longevity / overclockability.... but out the box, any that meet that spec and can be run at the XMP/Expo speeds should be the same.

GSkill are my preference if I can afford it or Corsair for budget builds are usually absolutely fine.

There are some minor differences where certain ranges of those are particularly optimised for AMD Expo vs Intel XMP profiles, but you are unlikely to see much of an issue here with those - most are designed to work with both.

Personal preference is the GSkill FlareX5 for AMD optimised, GSkill brand, but not over-paying for specific colour schemes or RGB.

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.

3 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

For current AM5 CPUs (7000-series), just try to get DDR5-6000 CL30, after that you're paying for the brand with some minor improvements in reliability/ longevity / overclockability.... but out the box, any that meet that spec and can be run at the XMP/Expo speeds should be the same.

GSkill are my preference if I can afford it or Corsair for budget builds are usually absolutely fine.

There are some minor differences where certain ranges of those are particularly optimised for AMD Expo vs Intel XMP profiles, but you are unlikely to see much of an issue here with those - most are designed to work with both.

Personal preference is the GSkill FlareX5 for AMD optimised, GSkill brand, but not over-paying for specific colour schemes or RGB.

Well i found out my budget got increased by a lot so overpaying slightly for a build i intend to have untouched until it dies doesnt matter. But thanks, as always you seem to know what is up :D. Though versus did not show the difference to be small mind you. But if corsair is not amd optimized and g.skill is then ofc im going with g.skill. ill just have to use led strips on an open surface close by

On 5/23/2024 at 10:23 AM, yepnew said:

corsair is not amd optimized and g.skill is

I wouldn't get too worried about it TBH: it will vary per model from Corsair / GSkill as to which ones get that "AMD optimised" / "Intel optimised" label, but it won't matter for most mainstream systems running at those standard XMP/Expo speeds.

All that the XMP/Expo profile is, is a set of tested, pre-approved timings that are saved onto the memory sticks, when you then "enable XMP/Expo", the motherboard will be able to read those timings and apply them for a safe, stable set of memory timings.

There are a few fringe cases where certain timings can be tightened up a little more than those tested speeds would default to when you enable XMP... but ultimately those speeds are really just based on what the underlying memory chips are capable of.

If you're willing to do the memory tuning yourself (which is actually VERY easy!), then the settings that are saved onto that XMP profile aren't going to make any difference at all and remember that most memory sticks share the same underlying chips - they don't come from GSkill/Corsair.... it almost all cases they're actually made by Samsung, SKHynix or Micron (regardless of the brand name that is on the board).... and most brands will switch between suppliers (except Crucial, which is actually owned by Micron).

I haven't had a lot of DDR5 experience, so the below statement is mostly based on DDR4 experience (and older).

Corsair were always "okay", but normally way cheaper: great for budget builds and worth trying as sometimes they had really good quality chips (like Samsung B-die) that could be manually clocked WAY faster than the XMP profile.... and sometimes would only JUST get to those advertised speed, but would struggle if you wanted to run 4 sticks at the advertised speed. Overall just frustratingly inconsistent as they would downgrade the underlying chips to a cheaper supplier on the same model after the initial reviews were out: I've got documented evidence of them doing this on the Vengeance LPX DDR4, where they swapped from high spec Samsung B-die to lower spec SKHynix, with the same model number.

GSkill were usually more expensive, but always seemed to have the higher quality chips and really consistently stable and able to be set to higher speeds or tighter timings.

If the Corsair are 30% cheaper and you have no plans to try to squeeze every ounce of speed out them, then they'll probably all be fine.

If the price difference is only 10% (which it often is for DDR5), then I'd take GSkill due to their better track record for consistently using higher quality memory chips.

Rant over 😉

TL;DR

If I was building for a friend on a budget, I'd gladly let them use Corsair on their RX6600, Ryzen 5 7500F system.... but if they're splashing out on a RTX4080S and a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, I'd be firmly steering them towards the GSkill FlareX5 or similar.

13 hours ago, BahnStormer said:

TL;DR

If I was building for a friend on a budget, I'd gladly let them use Corsair on their RX6600, Ryzen 5 7500F system.... but if they're splashing out on a RTX4080S and a Ryzen 7 7800X3D, I'd be firmly steering them towards the GSkill FlareX5 or similar.

Literal tech god pog

On 5/25/2024 at 12:30 AM, BahnStormer said:

TL;DR

This ended up being the final build https://no.pcpartpicker.com/list/THDYFs plus a Logitech brio 300 web camera, A Fractal Design USB-C 10Gbps Cable to fix the USB-c port, a Canon PIXMA TS305 printer, an Arozzi Vernazza softPU gaming chair (brown), a few 140mm Sickleflow fans and a cooler master ARGB hub. I will be using a 3d printer (most likely the Bambulab a1-mini) from the start of next year too.

I'll also switch out the switches in the keyboard with Keychron k pro-switch (brown) and the keys with YMDK botanical plus GMK CYL botanical 2 international for the æ ø å

Thanks so much to everyone for the help and I cannot wait to buy and show off my final build after my holiday to Japan to meet my girlfriend! Especially thanks to @BahnStormer, this would have been impossible for me to do without you!

edit: on a whim I bought the ASUS GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER ProArt OC as it was just 30 dollars more expensive...  also got the white 64gb neo trident instead of the flare...