Upgrading SSD getting "kernel security check failure" stop code

211kodiak
Go to solution Solved by REHED,

I am thinking that it may be related to Secure Boot.  You should receive a different error message if the new drive requires drivers.  F2 will get you in to bios - check your existing bios settings.  With the new drive installed, select "restore bios settings" back to factory default.  Restart and go back in to bios and change settings to your preference.  AHCI is preferred over RAID in the storage section.  Try installing Windows again.  If same error, try reseating memory.  If you still get an error, it is likely a hardware fault.

I'm trying to upgrade the SSD in my DELL G5 5590, from a 500GB NVMe to a 4TB Samsung 990 pro NVMe. I've created a flash drive using Windows MediaCreationTool_Win11_23H2.exe program, pulled the 500GB SSD and installed the 4TB SSD. Put the flash drive in the USB, plug the computer in, and turn it on. As it's booting, I hit F12, and then click on UEFI Boot from USB. It starts, shows the DELL boot-up logo, and I then get a blue screen with a "kernel security check failure" stop code.

Not sure what the problem is. I installed the 500GB again, recreated the flash drive, repeat, get the same results. I installed the 500GB again and recreated the flash drive with a different thumb drive, same result. I then ran the command prompt, with the command sfc /scannow to fix any corrupted files, before recreating the last flash drive.

Could the size of the new NVMe be the problem? Any help is appreciated

To be clear, I reinstalled the 500GB to recreate the flash drive and then reinstalled the new 4TB drive to try and flash it on the new drive. I repeated this a few times with the same result, blue screen with "kernel security check failure" stop code.

I'm on Windows 11 version 22H2, not sure if the MediaCreationTool_Win11_23H2.exe is the problem. The "23H2", if that matters with me being on 22H2.

Does the 500 GB drive have a windows installation on it?

Did that one ever work?

3 hours ago, Renegade042 said:

Does the 500 GB drive have a windows installation on it?

Did that one ever work?

Yes, it's my primary computer. Everything seems to be working find on it.

I am thinking that it may be related to Secure Boot.  You should receive a different error message if the new drive requires drivers.  F2 will get you in to bios - check your existing bios settings.  With the new drive installed, select "restore bios settings" back to factory default.  Restart and go back in to bios and change settings to your preference.  AHCI is preferred over RAID in the storage section.  Try installing Windows again.  If same error, try reseating memory.  If you still get an error, it is likely a hardware fault.

1 hour ago, REHED said:

"restore bios settings" back to factory default"

Before I do something like this, what potential issues could this cause, if it doesn't work, and I reinstall the old drive? I'm savvy, but not exactly knowledgeable about computers. I can get by. I've only ever done this once before and I cloned my computer to another harddrive.

1 hour ago, REHED said:

Also, I have not formatted the new drive, does that matter?

Wonder if I should try cloning. I've done that once before with an older computer of mine.