Need help setting up drives

Miyubro
Go to solution Solved by ZROCK,

Q1- The drive should boot just fine. As long as you set the boot drive to the hdd. It might be a little finnickey but you might have to reinstall windows and select keep files. 

Q2- Yes just set the boot drive to the m.2 also make sure to delete windows files to avoid any conflict.

Q3- It sometimes takes some work to get old drives with files to work flawlessly on a new system/ existing system but a good old fashioned youtube video should help out. 

Q4- EASE US should do just fine if you wanna clone a drive. Ive used it before. A fresh windows install will always go smoother though- Ive gotten windows keys off of G2A in the past.

Hope that helps

Hello everyone I'm planning on building my own pc soon but I need help on some hardware/software setups as I don't have enough knowledge on that yet I'm still a beginner on building but I have basic knowledge on how to build a pc. I need help on setting up my HDD and SSD so it would be great assisting me on this before I mess up on my first try I also don't want to lose my data transferring it to my new system. 

Q1. If I finish setting up BIOS and transfer my old HDD with the OS in it will it boot up and function like it should?

Q2. If I get a new M.2 Drive and install windows on it before transferring my old HDD with OS in it will it boot up on the M.2 or will it boot up on the HDD? after that is it safe to format the HDD with OS so I can boot up with the M.2 instead?                                               
       [I'm guessing I need to set boot prio on BIOS]

Q3. I have Data on my old SSD will the data still be recognized on the new system after I transfer it on the new computer? if so how do I let windows recognize it?
       [Sorry I don't know how to partition yet]

Q4. What program/method is best to clone my OS to a new M.2 and is it safe to do or is it better to have a fresh install of windows instead? if so where do I get cheap windows keys?

Those are mainly the things I'm concerned about sorry if I have bad English thank you.

Q1- The drive should boot just fine. As long as you set the boot drive to the hdd. It might be a little finnickey but you might have to reinstall windows and select keep files. 

Q2- Yes just set the boot drive to the m.2 also make sure to delete windows files to avoid any conflict.

Q3- It sometimes takes some work to get old drives with files to work flawlessly on a new system/ existing system but a good old fashioned youtube video should help out. 

Q4- EASE US should do just fine if you wanna clone a drive. Ive used it before. A fresh windows install will always go smoother though- Ive gotten windows keys off of G2A in the past.

Hope that helps

3 hours ago, ZROCK said:

Hope that helps

Thank you I would definitely try out G2A and ease us as I am preparing for building up my new system appreciate the help!  

1 hour ago, Miyubro said:

Thank you I would definitely try out G2A and ease us as I am preparing for building up my new system appreciate the help!  

If you'd like to try and avoid buying another key, once you've booted into the OS and it does say you don't have an active key. You can go into the profile settings and just below your account info there's a blue text that says "I recently upgraded my PC" or something along that line. Select that option and go through the prompts, if the last key you had was a legit copy it should have your old PC hardware name in the list. You can select it and it'll bridge your old key to your new hardware. I did that with my last build in November and I didn't have to buy a new key so it's worth a shot!

1 hour ago, Slide-Byte said:

If you'd like to try and avoid buying another key, once you've booted into the OS and it does say you don't have an active key. You can go into the profile settings and just below your account info there's a blue text that says "I recently upgraded my PC" or something along that line. Select that option and go through the prompts, if the last key you had was a legit copy it should have your old PC hardware name in the list. You can select it and it'll bridge your old key to your new hardware. I did that with my last build in November and I didn't have to buy a new key so it's worth a shot!

Thanks for the tip I will also do that once I finish setting things up.

On 4/20/2024 at 8:20 AM, Slide-Byte said:

cool diddnt know that