Bizarre RAM Issue

JJBolas

Hey
I have an old MSI Z270 Tomahawk board on a computer (Specs ate the end of the post) that I'm using as a server.
Today I decided to upgrade the RAM for it and got stuck on this bizarre issue.
The board has 4 DIMM slots, the old memory was 2 x 8Gb G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3200Mhz and the upgrade is 4 x 16Gb Crucial Pro 3200Mhz.
The issue I'm facing is that the PC doesn't turn on (EZ Debug light just switches from the CPU and RAM back and forth, already tried to clear CMOS, can't even go to BIOS) with the new sticks except in some weird configurations.

It's better to show what I've tried:
G -> 8Gb stick from GSkill
C -> 16Gb stick from Crucial
X -> empty slot

X G X G - Boot and RAM shows in BIOS
X C X C - No boot
C X C X - No boot
C C C C - No boot
C X X X - No boot
X C X X - No boot
X X C X - No boot
X X X C - No boot

So I thought the crucial sticks were defective but then the bizarre part happened when I tried:
X X G C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS
X C G C - No boot
G C G C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS
G C C C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS

Specs:
i7 7700k
MSI Z270 Tomahawk
Corsair H100i v2 Cooler
Corsair RM750x PSU

Any help is appreciated

Are the new sticks x8 or x16 (see here for more)?

How old is your BIOS?

can you post exact ram specs?

Welcome to the forums!
Have you tried updating BIOS?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Hey

50 minutes ago, Tetras said:

Are the new sticks x8 or x16 (see here for more)?

How old is your BIOS?

Not sure, the model is 16GB DDR4-3200 UDIMM 1.2V CL22 CP16G4DFRA32A.M8FF (4 sticks for 64Gb)
Latest Bios available on the MSI website for this board

image.thumb.png.c7f289012474292e48b17c0f2097c976.png

49 minutes ago, rwdfsawe said:

can you post exact ram specs?

16GB DDR4-3200 UDIMM 1.2V CL22 CP16G4DFRA32A.M8FF (4 sticks for 64Gb)

46 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!
Have you tried updating BIOS?

Thanks!
Yes, I'm using the latest available

if

5 minutes ago, JJBolas said:

Hey

Not sure, the model is 16GBB DDR4-3200 UDIMM 1.2V CL22 CP16G4DFRA32A.M8FF (4 sticks for 64Gb)
Latest Bios available on the MSI website for this board

image.thumb.png.c7f289012474292e48b17c0f2097c976.png

16GBB DDR4-3200 UDIMM 1.2V CL22 CP16G4DFRA32A.M8FF (4 sticks for 64Gb)

Thanks!
Yes, I'm using the latest available

if your system does not boot with crucial ram it means the ram could be bad try to but with crucial ram and g.skill and run a ram test

16 minutes ago, JJBolas said:

Not sure, the model is 16GB DDR4-3200 UDIMM 1.2V CL22 CP16G4DFRA32A.M8FF (4 sticks for 64Gb)

I tried googling it, but I couldn't find any confirmation and Corsair say it can be either die density (x8 or x16).

The other possibility I can think of is that 3200 JEDEC modules did not exist when your motherboard was released and so it is possible that it tries to read the SPD information and goes WTF? and craps out.

This theory might explain this scenario (* quoted below) because you need a G.Skill module in the first channel (slot 1 and 3) for the motherboard to recognise the SPD data and boot up.

That said, I'm sure those modules have more than one profile in their SPD table, right? Do they have a profile for 2400?

1 hour ago, JJBolas said:

So I thought the crucial sticks were defective but then the bizarre part happened when I tried:
X X G C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS
X C G C - No boot
G C G C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS
G C C C - Boot and RAM shows up in BIOS

8 minutes ago, rwdfsawe said:

if your system does not boot with crucial ram it means the ram could be bad try to but with crucial ram and g.skill and run a ram test

Running one right now with a single G.SKILL and 3 Crucial, how many passes should I run?

2 minutes ago, Tetras said:

The other possibility I can think of is that 3200 JEDEC modules did not exist when your motherboard was released and so it is possible that it tries to read the SPD information and goes WTF? and craps out.

This theory would possibly explain this scenario because you need a G.Skill module in the first channel (slot 1 and 3) for the motherboard to recognise the SPD data and boot up.

That would make sense why it only starts with the G.SKILL in there, is there any workaround for this?

3 minutes ago, Tetras said:

That said, I'm sure those modules have more than one profile in their SPD, right? Do they have a profile for 2400?

How do I check this?

3 minutes ago, JJBolas said:

Running one right now with a single G.SKILL and 3 Crucial, how many passes should I run?

That would make sense why it only starts with the G.SKILL in there, is there any workaround for this?

How do I check this?

Run the test as many time you need to check all the rams also i looked up and you may want to disable xmp also some people are using this motherboard with 3200mhz and they say it works.

1 minute ago, rwdfsawe said:

Run the test as many time you need to check all the rams also i looked up and you may want to disable xmp also some people are using this motherboard with 3200mhz and they say it works.

not exactly the same motherboard but it could help

6 minutes ago, rwdfsawe said:

XMP is disabled and I've run this board with 3200Mhz before (With the Gskill kit)
Running, will update after it runs

1 hour ago, rwdfsawe said:

This is with a stick of GSKILL in the first slot and the 3 Crucial Sticks on the other slots
pass.thumb.jpeg.c07f28237af218171bcc620281d5b750.jpeg

2 hours ago, JJBolas said:

How do I check this?

Easiest way is look at the SPD tab in CPU-Z and it should list the profiles, but I think CPU-Z cuts the list short, so you might need something like hwinfo to display the full range of profiles.

Honestly, it could be the mobo. It is probably around 7 years old which is a common upswing in the failure curve

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Well thank you all, I ended up returning the RAM and buying a different kit (2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz 2 x 16Gb) and it's working fine