Getting the most out of a gift.

Dante0217

Hello friends, I have a bit of an odd question. My notoriously stingy brother got me a 4080 Super for my upcoming birthday. He's not super techy but he knew he wanted the best for me and I love him for that. Unfortunately, I know I have a somewhat lacking system for this behemoth of a card. What I mean by that is that I feel like it's gonna be held back by my Ryzen 5 5600x. Because I recently fell into hard times I won't be able to upgrade my PC anytime soon and returning the graphics card would be an affront to my brother who already RARELY spends ANY money at all. So my question is: How can I get the MOST out of this beefy boy when I game at 1080p? What settings should I avoid turning up? What are some basic tips for what effectively sums up to a CPU bottleneck? Games I typically play with my brother are Helldivers 2, Remnant 2, Apex Legends, Dying Light 2, WWZ, GTFO, and Monster Hunter World. Some of the games that I love to gawk at the visuals are Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, both Horizon Games, God of War, and Monster Hunter World. 

System Specs:

• Ryzen 5 5600x
  • 16GB RAM
  • 750w power supply

You could get the most out of it, by just turning all setting to the max, because then the load is placed more on the gpu, instead of the cpu. Also ray tracing, because I'm pretty sure it also mostly depends on the gpu

5 minutes ago, MiszS said:

You could get the most out of it, by just turning all setting to the max, because then the load is placed more on the gpu, instead of the cpu. Also ray tracing, because I'm pretty sure it also mostly depends on the gpu

I have tried this in a couple of games already and there is some stuttering and even some hanging that wasn't happening before. I feel like if I could free up some CPU resources I could hopefully get some of the frames the GPU is obviously more than capable of rendering but my CPU simply cannot keep up. 

Worst case scenario, use DSR to "play" at 1440p, putting more load on the GPU

1 hour ago, Dante0217 said:

I have tried this in a couple of games already and there is some stuttering and even some hanging that wasn't happening before. I feel like if I could free up some CPU resources I could hopefully get some of the frames the GPU is obviously more than capable of rendering but my CPU simply cannot keep up. 

Eliminating as many background tasks as possible, dont let discord run in the background, make sure as many apps as possible are using hardware acceleration, which reduces the load on the cpu and places more on the gpu when possible, discord is a good one for this if it needs to run in the background.

Windows settings you can also turn off what apps are able to run in the background so eliminating some of these could help.

Turning off startup programmes also helps with this.

Whats your cooling situation like, have you thought of overclocking your CPU?

Have you updated to the latest chipset drivers and BIOS revision to get the most out of your system?

Have you used DDU to wipe all current GPU drivers before installing the 4080 drivers so there are no confilcting drivers?

How are thermals in general?

Have you turned on PBO?

If yes have you tuned with a voltage offset curve?

Have you turned on resizeable bar?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

If you have multiple monitors, set Windows to show only on the gaming monitor. Run game in fullscreen or exclusive full screen

Try to enable Gsync in NVCP

Turn up the eye candy

Enable REBAR

Ensure FCLK (fabric clock) matches RAM frequency

Overclock the CPU (PBO2)

Overclock your RAM

Or if the framerate is already well beyond your monitor's fresh rate, you can simply do nothing

Do NOT use raytracing when already CPU constrained

38 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

Do NOT use raytracing when already CPU constrained

Why should he not use ray tracing if he's CPU constrained? Ray tracing only puts more load on the GPU, which is what he wants, he would want to max out his graphics card as much as possible to get as few stutters as possible.

2 hours ago, Dante0217 said:

Hello friends, I have a bit of an odd question. My notoriously stingy brother got me a 4080 Super for my upcoming birthday. He's not super techy but he knew he wanted the best for me and I love him for that. Unfortunately, I know I have a somewhat lacking system for this behemoth of a card. What I mean by that is that I feel like it's gonna be held back by my Ryzen 5 5600x. Because I recently fell into hard times I won't be able to upgrade my PC anytime soon and returning the graphics card would be an affront to my brother who already RARELY spends ANY money at all. So my question is: How can I get the MOST out of this beefy boy when I game at 1080p? What settings should I avoid turning up? What are some basic tips for what effectively sums up to a CPU bottleneck? Games I typically play with my brother are Helldivers 2, Remnant 2, Apex Legends, Dying Light 2, WWZ, GTFO, and Monster Hunter World. Some of the games that I love to gawk at the visuals are Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, both Horizon Games, God of War, and Monster Hunter World. 

System Specs:

• Ryzen 5 5600x
  • 16GB RAM
  • 750w power supply

If you have some budget left, you could upgrade your CPU to the 5800X3D, the best AM4 CPU for gaming and maybe also slap in another 16GB of RAM, DDR4 works better with 4 sticks than DDR5 does. You should be fine with your 750W PSU since the 5800X3D doesn't draw much more power than the 5600X and the 4080 Super is a 320W card. 
I just re-read your post and it looks like you can't spend a lot of money. Either you could try slightly overclocking your CPU or look if you can find a cheap used 5800X3D