Should I go for the Ryzen 9 5900x or the 7600?

Go to solution Solved by goatedpenguin,

If your main use is for dev and want to run vms than go for 5950/5900X since core count is important if your doing heavy performance tasks.

I have decided to upgrade, currently there is a 5600 in my PC already, so in that case you would say "Then the obvious choice is the Ryzen 5900x" the thing is that I also want to upgrade after that but I would need to change my motherboard anyways at the end so its the same as with the 7600 eventually there will be a need for a motherboard swap but maybe the 5900x is better because upgrading is cheaper but I also want to add more Ram to my PC and that would cost more on AM5 than on AM4. On performance the 7600 and 5900x are very similar actually kinda like the 5600 and the 3900x, but when someone wins in gaming it is the 7600 but who wins in multi-core is the 5900x and honestly I kinda care more about multi core beacuse I am a person who likes running multiple apps at the same time and several instances of Visual Studio when I do coding and the 7600 wins in x264 encoding but honestly I think it would be less loss on performance with a 5900x. (Although performance loss probably would be barely a factor here.) So yeah I am kinda divided with this because I have 32gb but because I sometimes do many, many things at the same time it fills up and 64gb ram is very costly on AM5 compared to AM4 this is beacuse AM5 has DDR5 and AM4 DDR4. In conclusion I want you guys to tell me which should I pick up beacuse I am analyzing all my choices and I am thinking to go with the 5900x but then the upgrade thing is also killing me but it is pointless because after Zen 5 probably a new socket is coming.

Do you have empty ram slots in your current setup? If so, a 5900x (or even 5950x) + 2 new sticks to go along your current ones seem to be the cheaper upgrade that will give you want you want. Then you can hold on upgrading to DDR5 until prices become more reasonable.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

9 minutes ago, igormp said:

Do you have empty ram slots in your current setup? If so, a 5900x (or even 5950x) + 2 new sticks to go along your current ones seem to be the cheaper upgrade that will give you want you want. Then you can hold on upgrading to DDR5 until prices become more reasonable.

Well my motherboard is right now dual-slot but I have seen that cheap B450s with 4 slots are going like for $70 on Newegg, I can buy 2x32gb so I have 64gb.

I would go for the 7000 series since going with the 5000 series will give you no upgradability path whatsoever, and you can upgrade the 7600x later down the line. 

20 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

I would go for the 7000 series since going with the 5000 series will give you no upgradability path whatsoever, and you can upgrade the 7600x later down the line. 

True, I should go with it at this point but my CPU upgrades are every 2 years so when I upgrade again after Zen 4 it would be Zen 6 and there are rumors of Zen 6 being on AM6 and some say that they are gonna still support AM5 but I don't know if this rumors are real. Or maybe I can go with Intel.

5 hours ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

True, I should go with it at this point but my CPU upgrades are every 2 years so when I upgrade again after Zen 4 it would be Zen 6 and there are rumors of Zen 6 being on AM6 and some say that they are gonna still support AM5 but I don't know if this rumors are real. Or maybe I can go with Intel.

DON'T rely on rumors to make your decisions, NEVER a good idea from personal experience.

I would say that the best bet here is to go with whichever CPU gives you the best value RIGHT NOW.  I ran a 5900x myself for a while and for gaming it was more than plenty of "horsepower" even at 1080p esp. with PBO2 enabled and CO values mostly negative ones; I would be getting over 200+ fps in CS2 with a RX 6800.  So if you really need the multi-core processing, go for the 5900x, BUT the only caveat that I can immediately think of is that keeping the chip cool may be a bit of an issue (esp. with PBO2 enabled and TDP uncapped; the bloody thing would draw over 200 watts package power), and that with dual-CCD CPUs like the 5900x you may end up getting a CPU with a CCD that may be slightly underperforming compared to the other (on my 5900x I had to set cores 1, 4, and 5 on CCD 1 to positive voltage offsets via the CO values in the BIOs to get Windows to run stably on the CPU).

5800X3D may be a good compromise if your primary focus is gaming, maybe.

Just throwing ideas and my own personal experiences out there, hope this helps.

13 hours ago, linuxChips2600 said:

DON'T rely on rumors to make your decisions, NEVER a good idea from personal experience.

I would say that the best bet here is to go with whichever CPU gives you the best value RIGHT NOW.  I ran a 5900x myself for a while and for gaming it was more than plenty of "horsepower" even at 1080p esp. with PBO2 enabled and CO values mostly negative ones; I would be getting over 200+ fps in CS2 with a RX 6800.  So if you really need the multi-core processing, go for the 5900x, BUT the only caveat that I can immediately think of is that keeping the chip cool may be a bit of an issue (esp. with PBO2 enabled and TDP uncapped; the bloody thing would draw over 200 watts package power), and that with dual-CCD CPUs like the 5900x you may end up getting a CPU with a CCD that may be slightly underperforming compared to the other (on my 5900x I had to set cores 1, 4, and 5 on CCD 1 to positive voltage offsets via the CO values in the BIOs to get Windows to run stably on the CPU).

5800X3D may be a good compromise if your primary focus is gaming, maybe.

Just throwing ideas and my own personal experiences out there, hope this helps.

My primary focus right now is development and that sort of stuff, so I want to run VMs more smoothly and more instances of Visual Studio and that eats up both CPU usage and Ram those extra cores could come handy for me, power consumption ain't a problem because my house is powered with photovoltaic panels and a Tesla battery. (Can a 240mm Liquid Cooler with 2 Noctua fans cool the Ryzen 9 5900x?)

If your main use is for dev and want to run vms than go for 5950/5900X since core count is important if your doing heavy performance tasks.

11 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

Yeah I am gonna do that, by the way can a 240mm liquid cooler cool down the Ryzen 9 5900x?

37 minutes ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Yeah I am gonna do that, by the way can a 240mm liquid cooler cool down the Ryzen 9 5900x?

I can cool my 5950x with a regular air cooler, it should be no prob to cool a 5900x with that cooler of yours.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 hour ago, igormp said:

I can cool my 5950x with a regular air cooler, it should be no prob to cool a 5900x with that cooler of yours.

Well I am using right now an Noctua nh-u12s-redux, I will see some benchmarks to really know if it can cool down the CPU but its not gonna be a problem probably because PBO won't be activated and it won't be overclocked.

6 hours ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

AIOs are overrated, a solid air cooler is more than enough. Go for brands like Noctua or BeQuiet 

If you can afford the AIO then sure go ahead, no harm in doing so. 

13 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

AIOs are overrated, a solid air cooler is more than enough. Go for brands like Noctua or BeQuiet 

Yeah that's true and at the end of the day their efficiency declines with time too so I would just see if my current cooler can handle it, it keeps my 5600 below 60 degrees in Cinebench so I think it can keep up.

7 hours ago, LinusFanNumber 14.8M said:

Yeah that's true and at the end of the day their efficiency declines with time too so I would just see if my current cooler can handle it, it keeps my 5600 below 60 degrees in Cinebench so I think it can keep up.

Not to mention a dead pump is more likely to happen than a dead fan on a air cooler. 

19 hours ago, goatedpenguin said:

Not to mention a dead pump is more likely to happen than a dead fan on a air cooler. 

Yeah so true