Need upgrade advice GPU/CPU

Go to solution Solved by TatamiMatt,
2 minutes ago, skaffuh said:

CPU cooler is intel e97379-003, I don't have any temp issues. I just did a test on CarX 50% CPU usage but 99% GPU. GTA V 60% CPU usage and 100% GPU usage. I've seen in another forum post that upgrading to a 57000XT from a RX 570 didn't cause any bottle necking on a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz CPU. Not sure if thats a good comparison though, Thanks.

Yeah youll be GPU bound, id take @venomtail's advice then

Budget (including currency): $200-500 (AUD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Halo, CoD, GTA V, Asseto Corsa, Apex Legends, WRC, DiRT Rally 2.0. I also do a reasonable amount of graphic design and video editing with a lot of post FX processing.
Goals: Overall FPS and performance increase, CPU and GPU are maxed out on GTA V around 100fps avg Very High settings.
Current Specs:

CPU - Intel Core i5 9400F
GPU - Radeon RX 570 Armor OC 4gb

RAM - 48GB - 2x8 gb 3200mhz DDR4 - 2x16gb 3200mhz DDR4
Motherboard - MSI B360M Bazooka
SSD - Kingston A400 240GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU - Phanteks PH-P550GF 550w Gold

Note: I will be upgrading/adding a larger SSD so don't factor that into the budget/upgrade suggestions as I'm onto that already. I'm looking for a GPU and/or CPU upgrade that is compatible with what I have already. I read on another forum post that people going from RX 570 to RX 5700xt almost doubled their FPS. From my understanding RX 570 is GDDR5 and 5700XT is GDDR6 would it still be compatible with my board? I'm happy to buy used parts FYI. Please help I'm kind of a noob. Thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, skaffuh said:

Budget (including currency): $200-500 (AUD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Halo, CoD, GTA V, Asseto Corsa, Apex Legends, WRC, DiRT Rally 2.0. I also do a reasonable amount of graphic design and video editing with a lot of post FX processing.
Goals: Overall FPS and performance increase, CPU and GPU are maxed out on GTA V around 100fps avg Very High settings.
Current Specs:

CPU - Intel Core i5 9400F
GPU - Radeon RX 570 Armor OC 4gb

RAM - 48GB - 2x8 gb 3200mhz DDR4 - 2x16gb 3200mhz DDR4
Motherboard - MSI B360M Bazooka
SSD - Kingston A400 240GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU - Phanteks PH-P550GF 550w Gold

Note: I will be upgrading/adding a larger SSD so don't factor that into the budget/upgrade suggestions as I'm onto that already. I'm looking for a GPU and/or CPU upgrade that is compatible with what I have already. I read on another forum post that people going from RX 570 to RX 5700xt almost doubled their FPS. From my understanding RX 570 is GDDR5 and 5700XT is GDDR6 would it still be compatible with my board? I'm happy to buy used parts FYI. Please help I'm kind of a noob. Thanks in advance

All graphics cards are compatible with every motherboard

a 9400F isnt baaad? but upgrading the gpu may cause it to be the bottlenck

in saying that, upgrading the cpu will need a new motherboard, and then the gpu will become the limiting factor/bottleneck. 

Could you check, in all games, when playing what your %usage is for your CPU and GPU?

This will give a better feel for what you would need to upgrade first and foremost to improve performance

Also do you have a cpu cooler?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

5 minutes ago, skaffuh said:

From my understanding RX 570 is GDDR5 and 5700XT is GDDR6 would it still be compatible with my board?

Different types of video memory do not affect motherboard compatibility. The video memory is soldered onto the card.

Considering that you're doing video editing too, I would definitely look into a better CPU, though you have to get a different motherboard because socket 1151 (which your current CPU uses) only supports up to your generation of CPUs. For the GPU, you might be able to get a cheap used 6700XT or 6750XT. For the CPU, you can save a few bucks by keeping your RAM and getting a CPU like the Ryzen 5 5600 with an AM4 motherboard or a B670 DDR4 motherboard and a 12th/13th gen i5

I'd first upgrade the GPU before CPU. I've still read some 9th gen intel users saying that CPU performance is satisfactory in GPU bound titles. 5700XT is a fair choice, if you could snag a used 6700/6750XT even better.

Then after GPU upgrade recalibrate your expectations and needs.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

15 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

All graphics cards are compatible with every motherboard

a 9400F isnt baaad? but upgrading the gpu may cause it to be the bottlenck

in saying that, upgrading the cpu will need a new motherboard, and then the gpu will become the limiting factor/bottleneck. 

Could you check, in all games, when playing what your %usage is for your CPU and GPU?

This will give a better feel for what you would need to upgrade first and foremost to improve performance

Also do you have a cpu cooler?

CPU cooler is intel e97379-003, I don't have any temp issues. I just did a test on CarX 50% CPU usage but 99% GPU. GTA V 60% CPU usage and 100% GPU usage. I've seen in another forum post that upgrading to a 57000XT from a RX 570 didn't cause any bottle necking on a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz CPU. Not sure if thats a good comparison though, Thanks.

2 minutes ago, skaffuh said:

Yeah youll be GPU bound, id take @venomtail's advice then

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

30 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

Different types of video memory do not affect motherboard compatibility. The video memory is soldered onto the card.

Considering that you're doing video editing too, I would definitely look into a better CPU, though you have to get a different motherboard because socket 1151 (which your current CPU uses) only supports up to your generation of CPUs. For the GPU, you might be able to get a cheap used 6700XT or 6750XT. For the CPU, you can save a few bucks by keeping your RAM and getting a CPU like the Ryzen 5 5600 with an AM4 motherboard or a B670 DDR4 motherboard and a 12th/13th gen i5

I appreciate your response. I think I'll upgrade my GPU for $200-300, sell the old GPU and add those funds to the remaining budget while I find a new motherboard and CPU combo as you suggested.

9 minutes ago, venomtail said:

I'd first upgrade the GPU before CPU. I've still read some 9th gen intel users saying that CPU performance is satisfactory in GPU bound titles. 5700XT is a fair choice, if you could snag a used 6700/6750XT even better.

Then after GPU upgrade recalibrate your expectations and needs.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. Thanks to your suggestions as well as @TatamiMatt @DreamCat04 I believe I have a plan for future upgrades. Thanks fellas.

22 minutes ago, skaffuh said:

Thank you for your help and suggestions. Thanks to your suggestions as well as @TatamiMatt @DreamCat04 I believe I have a plan for future upgrades. Thanks fellas.

Why not just get a motherboard with a q-code readout, 5950x and even skimp a little on the gpu?  Say a 6600. Amd cards and gpu have “smart access” or something that work well under autoCAD loads and such

Just saying… If you’re gonna go through the trouble of replacing a motherboard, might as well spend extra money for a top-tier “last gen” model. I only recommend amd cause the smart access junk and the am4/3/2 chipset compatibility. 
intel is all wacky, lga-make.up.a.number

why bother replacing a MOBO for every “new” intel release?  Pfft, that’s silly esp since intel is more $$ across the board

just saying. Replacing a mobo isn’t fun. Do it right the first time?