Good Budget Keyboard

Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,
4 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

Sorry. I just don't really know anything about keyboards. I am a PC enthusiast, not a keyboard enthusiast.

That has NOTHING to do with this.

It's like going to an automobile forum and asking for the best car and telling us "the car does not matter. i want a really good one within my budget" and then in several posts "what about this truck? what about this sedan? what about this coupe? okay now that I think about it car size does matter. No that car is ugly. No, I want it to take premium fuel only. No I want a black car. I want it to be a good brand like Ford or Nissan."

You DO have preferences. You're wasting everyone's time by pretending that you don't.

a decent brand (Razer, Corsair, Logitech, unless you can convince me the keyboard is good enough)

oh, so you know more than us now?

imagine telling an HVAC guy that you think Samsung and LG are better than Mitsubishi and Daikin because Samsung and LG are "decent brands"

I think I found the one

ASUS ROG Falchion Wireless 65%

Its PBT keycaps, hot swappable, 65%, Wireless (but I guess it really doesn't matter), looks nice, Cherry MX Brown, and is only 80 dollars used. Please give feedback. Gotta buy soon.

Buy it.

Hello. I'm interested in buying a new keyboard, since my current one sucks and is about 10 bucks. My budget is from 35 to 55 dollars. Right now I am eyeing the Corsair K65 Mini 60% (Renewed), but wanted to make sure that it is a good choice. I want a very clicky (not too loud) and satisfying keyboard, and am hoping someone could help, as I am not an expert on keyboards.  Please help and give suggestions.

Don't use descriptive words like clicky if you don't know what you're talking about.

Clicky specifically refers to clicky mechanical switches (e.g. Cherry MX Blue switches). They are among the loudest switches you can get. I think IBM's buckling switches are louder? I've never heard them in person.

There are a lot of typing test videos on YouTube for you to get a reference.

The board you linked has linear mechanical switches. Specifically, Black refers to linear switches that require heavier force to actuate, and Speed refers to a shorter stem and therefore faster actuation. Specifically, they are Speed Silver switches so they have a medium actuation force, and a shorter stem meaning shorter travel and faster actuation.

It sounds like you're certain you want a 60% board?

$35-$55 is a very small budget for mechanical boards - you'll find either the ultracheap Redragon boards or cheap Chinese brands that people around these forums have no experience with.

So with that in mind, that Corsair K65 looks like a good find.

Ideally, if you're patient, you should really save some pay checks / allowance and spend around $80-$100 on board that will allow you "hot-swappable switches" because it will save you money down the road if any keys start to fail on you, or if you realize you've made mistake on your choice of switch and want to try other flavors.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

15 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Ideally, if you're patient, you should really save some pay checks / allowance and spend around $80-$100 on board that will allow you "hot-swappable switches" because it will save you money down the road if any keys start to fail on you, or if you realize you've made mistake on your choice of switch and want to try other flavors.

I don't really care about the keyboard as long as its better than my 10 dollar one. Thx for the info though.

Hey. You said that Cherry MX blue switches were the clickiest keyboard. I found this Redragon k552, and I know it has a bad reputation, but it has Cherry MX blue switches (Actually, they are outemu blue switches, but they sound and feel the same), and I really like blue switches. Please give feedback.

I could also get this keyboard from this company called the Sixgill K2 by this random company called Black Shark, but it looks like a good keyboard, with blue switches. The sound tests sound good and there are a lot of good reviews.

22 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

but wanted to make sure that it is a good choice. I want a very clicky (not too loud) and satisfying keyboard, and am hoping someone could help, as I am not an expert on keyboards.

OK, so what are you actually looking for in a keyboard? Just something durable, maybe with a specific design, or something in particular.

The main reason I'm asking is that what a "good" keyboard is can be highly subjective, like choice of design or typing experience. Some look for a particular sound and feel, others care mostly about the feel, layout, maybe typing angle etc. So without some details, apart from "not too loud clicky" and "satisfying" (what is satisfying to you?!) we need details.

As a rule of thumb:

- avoid "gaming" branded keyboards, usually they are geared more around looks and buzzwords rather than actual quality.

- look for "hotswap" switches, this means switches are socketed and can be replaced should you desire to (either because they break or you are unhappy with them). Can save a lot of money later on.

- If a deal seems to be too good to be true, it is.

2 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

Hey. You said that Cherry MX blue switches were the clickiest keyboard. I found this Redragon k552, and I know it has a bad reputation, but it has Cherry MX blue switches (Actually, they are outemu blue switches, but they sound and feel the same), and I really like blue switches. Please give feedback.

1 hour ago, ulookuglynoob said:

I could also get this keyboard from this company called the Sixgill K2 by this random company called Black Shark, but it looks like a good keyboard, with blue switches. The sound tests sound good and there are a lot of good reviews.

You're not making this easy for us. What do you want?

You've posted 3 keyboards with three formfactors - 60%, TKL, and 100%.

You said you want a keyboard that is "not too loud" but you've chosen 2 keyboards with Cherry MX Blue (clicky) switches.

Honestly just pick whatever one you vibe with. I would personally choose the Redragon because TKL is the most functional form factor without NumPad and without giving up all other keys (60%).

If you don't mind the white aesthetic and full-sized form factor, this one is probably the best choice since it is hot-swappable

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K668-Mechanical-Absorbing-Hot-swappable/dp/B0CDWP1D58/

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

You know what? I'ma just get the Corsair K70 RGB PRO with Cherry MX Blue switches. Used, but it should work and it will cost 80 bucks. It that good enough?

I don't care about form factor

It's fine if its loud as long as its satisfying, and the MX Blue is VERY satisfying

I want a black keyboard to match my desktop.

I don't think the Corsair K70 RGB PRO is hot swappable, but I'm fine with the switches.

2 hours ago, ulookuglynoob said:

I don't care about form factor

It's fine if its loud as long as its satisfying, and the MX Blue is VERY satisfying

I want a black keyboard to match my desktop.

I don't think the Corsair K70 RGB PRO is hot swappable, but I'm fine with the switches.

Hot-swappable switches are insurance for failing switches. This forum constantly has people complaining about failing keys and needing to buy an entire new board because they bought a gaming keyboard.

If the color scheme doesn't look awful, I would recommend this board since you increased your budget

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Mechanical-Backlight-Programmable-Hot-Swappable/dp/B0CGWVSPW7/

Otherwise, yeah it sounds like you want the Corsair so do what makes ya happy.

6 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

If the color scheme doesn't look awful, I would recommend this board since you increased your budget

https://www.amazon.com/Keychron-Mechanical-Backlight-Programmable-Hot-Swappable/dp/B0CGWVSPW7/

Otherwise, yeah it sounds like you want the Corsair so do what makes ya happy.

The color scheme isn't great. Honestly, I think the Corsair K65 Mini 60% (Renewed) is good enough, its cheaper, and it is hot-swappable. I might get the MX Brown, since I heard that the MX blue switches lose their satisfaction really quickly and are very loud. What's the best switch for satisfaction?

14 minutes ago, ulookuglynoob said:

The color scheme isn't great. Honestly, I think the Corsair K65 Mini 60% (Renewed) is good enough, its cheaper, and it is hot-swappable. I might get the MX Brown, since I heard that the MX blue switches lose their satisfaction really quickly and are very loud. What's the best switch for satisfaction?

Corsair K65 is not hot-swappable

and... bro... this is literally why you want a hot-swappable board. Because you don't know until it's too late.

The Corsair K65 is MX Silver - linear switches. MX Brown are tactile switches.

The switch is only 1 part of the equation for satisfaction.

The keycap material (ABS, PBT, Ceramic), the keyboard body material (ABS, Aluminum), fillers (layers of foam) all work together to make a satisfying final product.

25 minutes ago, ulookuglynoob said:

What's the best switch for satisfaction?

Bro, you are asking us what the best flavor of Ice cream is. What is satisfying to you might not work for others etc.

Please come up with some hard categories/constraints, otherwise we really can't help you and this is becoming rather obnoxious.

Ok. I just want a hot swappable keyboard, black, MX Brown switches (cuz they aren't too loud, but are kinda clicky. realized that blue switches are just too loud), PBT keycaps (cuz I don't like ceramic and don't want my switches to discolor), a decent brand (Razer, Corsair, Logitech, unless you can convince me the keyboard is good enough), 50 to 75 bucks, used/refurb (cuz all the good keyboards don't fall in my budget(If you can find a good keyboard that falls in my budget, I'll be fine), RGB, don't care about size, don't care about body material, as flat as possible (Unless it comes with a wrist support), don't care about fillers, black keycaps, Amazon prime, and is wired (cuz I don't want delays). Sorry. I just don't really know anything about keyboards. I am a PC enthusiast, not a keyboard enthusiast.

I think I found the one

Its PBT keycaps, hot swappable, 65%, Wireless (but I guess it really doesn't matter), looks nice, Cherry MX Brown, and is only 80 dollars used. Please give feedback. Gotta buy soon.

Sorry. I just don't really know anything about keyboards. I am a PC enthusiast, not a keyboard enthusiast.

It's like going to an automobile forum and asking for the best car and telling us "the car does not matter. i want a really good one within my budget" and then in several posts "what about this truck? what about this sedan? what about this coupe? okay now that I think about it car size does matter. No that car is ugly. No, I want it to take premium fuel only. No I want a black car. I want it to be a good brand like Ford or Nissan."

You DO have preferences. You're wasting everyone's time by pretending that you don't.

a decent brand (Razer, Corsair, Logitech, unless you can convince me the keyboard is good enough)

imagine telling an HVAC guy that you think Samsung and LG are better than Mitsubishi and Daikin because Samsung and LG are "decent brands"

I think I found the one

Buy it.

6 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Bro sorry 4 wasting ur time. maybe I should've done more research before posting. 

6 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Well, everyone was saying random Chinese brands suck, so I just wanted a good one for my satisfaction. Guess brand doesn't matter. Nvr said I knew more than you guys. Thats why I posted this forum.

Well, thx 4 the answer though. My bad.