Low GPU FPS, gets fixed only after restart

Bokehey

Hey there, I have the following issue:

When I boot up my PC and start playing a game or run a benchmark my results/FPS are lower than the average for the hardware.

When I restart the PC and try the same things everything runs as expected.

If I put the PC to sleep and then wake it up and try again my performance is worse just like in the first scenario.

Some concrete numbers:

3D Mark TimeSpy for GPU score specifically runs at about 24-25k when performance is lower and at 28k when everything works fine (after a restart)

Red Dead Redemption 2 - in the bad scenarios I get about 100-110 FPS average, in the good scenario I get about 160-170 FPS

Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 32GB 6000Mhz RAM, RTX 4080 SUPER

The  issue is GPU only, my CPU score when running TimeSpy stays the same in  all 3 scenarios while the GPU runs well only after a restart. I've also noticed that the watts of the GPU are lower on the bad scenarios hence the worse performance I suppose.

I've tried both DDU and fresh windows install, fast boot is off in both windows and bios. I've tried with EXPO on/off.

I've attached two TimeSpy results. The only difference between the two is that one is after a cold boot and the other is after restart, no other programs or background tasks are running, basically everything else is the same.

bad result.png

great result.png