Laptops CPU insane high temps

Hi,
So i have repasted 4 times like in a 6 months period and i have even replaced the both laptop's fans with new ones but i see no improvement in temperatures.
What i'm doing wrong?

few things from side: 

- Using laptop Cooler
- Vents are clear
- Bios Up to date
- Room temp not high

- No virus or anything, fresh installation

I can not under-volt because of my Bios update version with Intel XTU, neither under-volting works with throttlestop. So under-volting is not possible.

CPU temps go to 100C even with loads like 10-30%, where as GPU is fine at 99% of load.

Please help. 

Screenshot_2.png

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Which laptop is this?

AW 15 r3.
Cooling solution looks good on pictures but . . image.png.b0529666fd02626f7bab8edeab4fe5d8.png

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

26 minutes ago, Waqas409 said:

AW 15 r3.
Cooling solution looks good on pictures but . . image.png.b0529666fd02626f7bab8edeab4fe5d8.png

Are thermal pads dried out? Cooler torqued down properly after taking off? Fans are definitely blowing? Replaced fans are same spec as the OEM fans? Intake and exhaust vents are clear?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

2 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Are thermal pads dried out? Cooler torqued down properly after taking off? Fans are definitely blowing? Replaced fans are same spec as the OEM fans? Intake and exhaust vents are clear?

- Thermal pads are in placed. Not sure how to check if they are dried out or.. 
- I can see air coming out from fans but its hot
- Yes OEM fans
- all vents are clear

2 minutes ago, Waqas409 said:

- Yes OEM fans
- all vents are clear

They arent as pliable or conformable when they "dry out" and so sometimes dont maintain good surface contact with things but i dont think thatd be the case for your laptop, just something to watch out for as laptops can get pretty spicy. Other than what youve answered im not too sure, maybe something software related? Im not too knowledgable on laptop hardware

System specs:

3 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

They arent as pliable or conformable when they "dry out" and so sometimes dont maintain good surface contact with things but i dont think thatd be the case for your laptop, just something to watch out for as laptops can get pretty spicy. Other than what youve answered im not too sure, maybe something software related? Im not too knowledgable on laptop hardware

Thank you.
I have checked everything still confused why the temps are not good.
Should i try liquid metal thermal paste?

4 minutes ago, Waqas409 said:

Thank you.
I have checked everything still confused why the temps are not good.
Should i try liquid metal thermal paste?

Thats an option and will net you better temps guaranteed, the issue is, if youre hitting 100C at 10-30% util, there seems to be something more there that thermal paste, at least, shouldnt fix, if you upgrade the thermal paste and your processor can now hit 50 or even 70% util before hitting 100C, its still hitting 100C either really, or just quite early

Do you have any custom fan curves?

Ive seen some peeps in here decently knowledgeable about laptops so they might be able to provide you more info/help than i can

System specs:

12 minutes ago, Waqas409 said:

- Yes OEM fans
- all vents are clear

I had an Alienware 13 r3 with 7700HQ. When I bought it second hand, temps would shoot to the 100's as well. I repasted the CPU and GPU and temps were then fine at 70-80 with 100% load with idles around 30-40.

Check your thermal paste. Remove the heatsink and repaste those 2 chips with a good thermal paste. Don't forget to remove the old paste from both heatsink and CPU though.

2 minutes ago, Naijin said:

I had an Alienware 13 r3 with 7700HQ. When I bought it second hand, temps would shoot to the 100's as well. I repasted the CPU and GPU and temps were then fine at 70-80 with 100% load with idles around 30-40.

Check your thermal paste. Remove the heatsink and repaste those 2 chips with a good thermal paste. Don't forget to remove the old paste from both heatsink and CPU though.

mine is Alienware 15 R3
6700HQ.
I repasted many times but temps never improve. 

@Waqas409

How do you paste it? Just a blob like you would do in a desktop? That's wrong. When you are working with the bare die, you should put the thermal paste (a little more than needed just to be sure), and then spread it very well with something and cover every part of the die (probably even the sides).

If this does not work, there might be some heatsink mounting issue which does not make the copper (copper?) plate stick neat and tightly with the CPU.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

2 hours ago, Waqas409 said:

I can not under-volt because of my Bios update version with Intel XTU, neither under-volting works with throttlestop. So under-volting is not possible.

Does your BIOS allow for undervolting? You could also try the older version of XTU, I believe the older version doesn't require undervolt protection

On 3/21/2024 at 2:59 PM, DreamCat04 said:

Does your BIOS allow for undervolting? You could also try the older version of XTU, I believe the older version doesn't require undervolt protection

i wish it could but NO.
Bios is very basic in alienware laptops. No such options available.

Intel Locked the undervolt settings in Intel XTU and others softwares if the BIOS is updated to certain version.
even the bios rollback does not allow undervolting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 2:45 AM, Waqas409 said:

I repasted many times

What are you using? Some thermal pastes like the popular MX-4 are only good for about a week when applied direct die to a mobile CPU.

Try using Honeywell PTM 7950. You should see much better long term results. 

It is possible to unlock CPU voltage control. Google search for CFG Lock and your laptop model. Someone, somewhere has done this already. Less voltage can help fix your problem. This website explains the basic procedure. 

https://brendangreenley.com/undervolting-2020-dell-laptops-like-the-vostro-7500-and-more-tips-to-improve-thermals-battery-life-and-speed/#cpu-undervolt

Just to note, did you buy this machine second hand?

Back when these machines just came out, I believe there was a huge issue that was due to Dell's heatsink design.

The off-set triangular mounting points meant that one corner of the CPU is always under less pressure than the rest. You can see it literally represented in the thermal past imprint in that old reddit post. As long as the triangle is non-symmetric, the lower pressure on one core is going to conduct less heat to the heatsink than the rest. I feel like your core temps are showing this, since you've got the hottest core at throttle temp, but the lowest is at 88*, which is seriously off.

The community tried all sorts of crazy stuff to resolve this back then, since otherwise these machines should've had great thermals for the size and amount of heatsinks + fans installed. A lot of washer additions and mountings modifications were tried. I think someone even tried machining their own third party heatsinks with modified mounting brackets.

Some less invasive suggestions were to lower the thermal pad thickness on certain board components, to force the CPU contact to be better on that corner. A lot of that stuff is long lost to whatever old forum posts/youtube video's are left around, though, you might find it if you dig around. (I think there was an youtube tutorial by iunlock somewhere)

You can probably get by with using better thermal paste than what you already have, but without fixing the physical design issues, it'll come back over time, and much faster than normal thermal paste wear-out. 

This is actually one of the original things that've led me to stop recommending Dell/Alienware... On the outside they look great, good specs, 'gamer' design, RGB, etc., but at their core, they're a shit hardware company and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind.

13 hours ago, Qyygle said:

Just to note, did you buy this machine second hand?

Back when these machines just came out, I believe there was a huge issue that was due to Dell's heatsink design.

The off-set triangular mounting points meant that one corner of the CPU is always under less pressure than the rest. You can see it literally represented in the thermal past imprint in that old reddit post. As long as the triangle is non-symmetric, the lower pressure on one core is going to conduct less heat to the heatsink than the rest. I feel like your core temps are showing this, since you've got the hottest core at throttle temp, but the lowest is at 88*, which is seriously off.

The community tried all sorts of crazy stuff to resolve this back then, since otherwise these machines should've had great thermals for the size and amount of heatsinks + fans installed. A lot of washer additions and mountings modifications were tried. I think someone even tried machining their own third party heatsinks with modified mounting brackets.

Some less invasive suggestions were to lower the thermal pad thickness on certain board components, to force the CPU contact to be better on that corner. A lot of that stuff is long lost to whatever old forum posts/youtube video's are left around, though, you might find it if you dig around. (I think there was an youtube tutorial by iunlock somewhere)

You can probably get by with using better thermal paste than what you already have, but without fixing the physical design issues, it'll come back over time, and much faster than normal thermal paste wear-out. 

This is actually one of the original things that've led me to stop recommending Dell/Alienware... On the outside they look great, good specs, 'gamer' design, RGB, etc., but at their core, they're a shit hardware company and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind.

No, i ordered directly from Dell website. 
Thanks for such information, i never knew about this. 

On 4/1/2024 at 12:51 AM, unclewebb said:

What are you using? Some thermal pastes like the popular MX-4 are only good for about a week when applied direct die to a mobile CPU.

Try using Honeywell PTM 7950. You should see much better long term results. 

It is possible to unlock CPU voltage control. Google search for CFG Lock and your laptop model. Someone, somewhere has done this already. Less voltage can help fix your problem. This website explains the basic procedure. 

https://brendangreenley.com/undervolting-2020-dell-laptops-like-the-vostro-7500-and-more-tips-to-improve-thermals-battery-life-and-speed/#cpu-undervolt

I have once tried doing custom/modded bios but that thing is out of my mind.
never succeeded. 

• 4 weeks later...

any luck?
even with the repasting and everything checked deeply.
my temps at 20% load hits 95c-100C. Although it does not thermal throttle but the fan noise is very loud and very uncomfortable.