Drivers don't install properly, nothing runs properly, everything was great 2 weeks ago

Go to solution Solved by TraceH,

To anyone who comes across this thread in the future:

The problem turned out to be a bad CPU. After a week of frustration I bought a new motherboard and CPU to test things with, and replacing the CPU fixed the issues. 

I didn't have a way of testing the CPU to see how it was failing, and I would've assumed the crashes would be a lot uglier if the CPU was bad, but I'm currently going through the warranty process with Intel and the issues definitely came from the CPU.

The problem is somewhat vague and seems to change how it presents itself. I apologize if anything is unclear, but I'm here to answer questions ASAP. 

Description of problem:

Around 2 weeks ago my programs started crashing. At first it was discord randomly crashing and restarting, then my games would crash whenever a round ended, which I found very strange. It got worse over the two weeks and I eventually got frustrated not being able to fix it, so I formatted my drive and reinstalled Windows, but the problem is somehow worse. 
Now, most driver installers crash or fail, and I occasionally get various errors trying to browse the internet. Most notably, my intel chipset drivers fail to install, and my Nvidia drivers fail to install. The strangest crash is the Nvidia drivers because when I try to install them on a fresh windows the installer will quickly crash and close, then maybe 5 minutes later my screen will flicker and Nvidia control panel is installed. I've spent all day on Microsoft support trying to see if it's a problem with Windows, and even though they eventually got the Windows updates to install without crashing, everything else still crashes and might crash worse. Some drivers I have to install in safe mode and I can install my LAN drivers normally and successfully. 
I noticed the Q-LED (ASUS motherboard) for the CPU flashing while I was using the computer, and all troubleshooting information I could find from ASUS only mentioned the LEDs flashing during the boot process and didn't mention what they may indicate while the computer is running.

Problem Checklist:

- Nvidia drivers fail to install in a few ways

- error message: NVidia driver not compatible with this version of windows
     - Simply crashes and closes
     - Crashes during installation with error message: NVidia drivers failed to install
- Intel chipset drivers fail with error message: Unknown error (Useful!)
- Steam can install, games can be installed, but they can never successfully start or run

System specs:
CPU: Intel i9-14900kf
Motherboard: ASUS Prime z790-A WIFI
RAM: 4x16GB DDR5-5200 (XMP currently disabled) G.Skill Ripjaws S5 
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070ti
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Troubleshooting steps taken:

- Swapped RAM around in every imaginable configuration/combination
- Changed SSD to Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
- Flashed BIOS
- Reset CMOS
- Changed motherboard to ASUS TUF z790-Plus WIFI
- Clean boot Windows
- Safe mode Windows 

- Install Windows 11

- Disable all non-Microsoft services
- "Repair upgrade" (Microsoft support used this phrase to tell me to install Windows 10 from within Windows 10. I think it was silly)
- Many more I can't immediately think of

To anyone who comes across this thread in the future:

The problem turned out to be a bad CPU. After a week of frustration I bought a new motherboard and CPU to test things with, and replacing the CPU fixed the issues. 

I didn't have a way of testing the CPU to see how it was failing, and I would've assumed the crashes would be a lot uglier if the CPU was bad, but I'm currently going through the warranty process with Intel and the issues definitely came from the CPU.