Cheap Home Server

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

If you can hunt down an Intel NUC or another similar mini PC, that'd be a pretty good place to start. Small, quiet, enough horsepower that you can throw Proxmox on there and run some virtual machines without drawing too much power. For a NAS, you could look at some external drives either plain old USB or in a Thunderbolt or RAID enclosure.

HP and Lenovo make some compact PCs as well that you could check out, HardwareHaven on YouTube has some videos covering those, the HP EliteDesk and Lenovo ThinkCentre.

Honestly, even a laptop running Linux or something similar would be a viable option if you can find one with enough CPU, RAM, and storage.

Budget (including currency): About 500 PLN, maybe 600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Will be used for most likely multiple Minecraft servers, a "NAS" server, and other projects hosting.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I'd love to make the PC as small as possible, because I don't have much space near my router and I only have LAN coming from the router.

If you can hunt down an Intel NUC or another similar mini PC, that'd be a pretty good place to start. Small, quiet, enough horsepower that you can throw Proxmox on there and run some virtual machines without drawing too much power. For a NAS, you could look at some external drives either plain old USB or in a Thunderbolt or RAID enclosure.

HP and Lenovo make some compact PCs as well that you could check out, HardwareHaven on YouTube has some videos covering those, the HP EliteDesk and Lenovo ThinkCentre.

Honestly, even a laptop running Linux or something similar would be a viable option if you can find one with enough CPU, RAM, and storage.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!