Engineering PhD student PC specifications

Hello I am a Phd student in biomedical engineering focusing on robotics. I need a PC for running solid works, MATLAB, visual studio code, Ansys, ROS and maybe someother simulation and machine learning softwares.

I am looking at two options from Dell technologies

1. Precision 3260 Compact Workstation
  2. Precision 3660 Tower Workstation

I was wondering if these options are okay or is it better to have a Xeon Processor? or are there any recommendations from DELL.

Thank you

Does it need to be from dell?

Whats your budget?

The compact version mostly limits your GPU options, and limits CPU a bit with the not as good thermals. You also don't have additional slots if you need those. 

I'd o i5/i7/i9. The xeons don't make much sense unless your spending a good amount more of a xeon W system.

22 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it need to be from dell?

Whats your budget?

The compact version mostly limits your GPU options, and limits CPU a bit with the not as good thermals. You also don't have additional slots if you need those. 

I'd o i5/i7/i9. The xeons don't make much sense unless your spending a good amount more of a xeon W system.

Thank you for the response. Yes our university prefers to buy from DELL.  There's no specific budget, but i would prefer something less than 3000 dollars, can go up to 5000 if its justifiable. Can you recommend me something good from the DELL website? 

22 hours ago, starsmine said:

your department may have some recommended specifications based off of the software you are using. 

Thank you for the response . Its my advisor who is getting it for me, so i was told to choose one.